Gopher's Minions

Paid mods 2.0 ?

At E3 Bethesda announced creation club with mods made by themselves, outside developers and "the very best of the modding community" which you can purchase with "credits"

They haven't as far as I'm aware explained how "credits" are purchased, ie do we earn them with game/dlc purchases or with straight up CC.

The reaction on youtube hasn't been enthusiastic, but I'm waiting to hear more.

honestly it is all around them monetizing money. And i don't like it, stop fiddling with your modders bethesda. Mods already makeyou a ton of money since more people buy your game.

And don't get me wrong, i get that modders want a monetization, but if it is under bethesda it will be something like 7 bethesda 3 modder

Just now, jeancly said:

honestly it is all around them monetizing money. And i don't like it, stop fiddling with your modders bethesda. Mods already makeyou a ton of money since more people buy your game.

And don't get me wrong, i get that modders want a monetization, but if it is under bethesda it will be something like 7 bethesda 3 modder

More likely closer to a "record contract" which runs at about 95/5.

2 minutes ago, Caloss2 said:

More likely closer to a "record contract" which runs at about 95/5.

yeah maybe. Tha's why i loathe this project. Bethesda really should stop screweing things up. Modding is going to die soon if they keep this going. You may think that it is going to increase since people get payed, but imo that is going to be a downfall. because of a lot of reasons:

1) NMM will have to close down on beth games, or will be extremely limited.

2) people who would have done mods ( even simple mods) will be impeached by this policy since they will have difficulty posting things.

3) There will be another scandal like with payed mods that is going to make people angry and creating hate in the community which is bad

The thing that annoys me is that, what i understand, most of the 'paid mods' will be made by in house developers.  Especially in the categories weapons, apparel, characters and creatures, these 'paid mods' will feel more like micro transactions. I don't mind to pay for quality mods like frostfall, enderal or even immersive creatures or weapons, which are whole  bundles of creatures and weapons, but micro transactions in a game i already paid for? pfff.

I also would like some information about the payment modders will receive. Will they get a cut and what would be the cut or would they be paid in advance?

Here's Bethesda's FAQ about the Creation Club: https://creationclub.bethesda.net/en

Most of what is reported here sounds good: no old mods; must be original. "We've encountered many of those issues before." Ultimately, it comes down to whether or not that statement will be proved true.

The only upside I see to this (other than the potential for modders to be paid for their work, and the majority of proceeds must go to the modder, Bethesda!) is the possibility that future games will have script support, a la SKSE / F4SE, out of the gate. Without that feature, so many of the truly great, transformative mods cannot happen.

I also agree, Nexus will be killed off by this move.

Lmao, Nexus killed off.. really? Dramatic much.

First of all, any modder who actually makes good content will make more money by having a patreon then they will by working with Bethesda. Patreon takes a small cut (5%), which is better than Bethesda will ever possibly be able to do by a long mile. So people who actually make the really good mods will not all suddenly be rushing to put their content behind a paywall. The only way I could see people rushing to do this is if bethesda offers to buy mods people make for a one time lump sum and then after that the content is bethesdas to sell at what ever price they want. You make a cool bow, sell it to Beth for 100 bucks, and then beth does what they want with it afterwards. That is probably not what is going to happen though. So no worries.

Secondly, they are not going to go after modders; they can't. Even if they explicitly state that from here on out mods are not permitted; two things will happen. One, their games will die and two, people will just make them against the ToS, like they do with other games, such as with modded blizzard games. Blizzard is much more anti-modding then beth is and even they do not care to stop the modding of some of their games. Beth wants a controlled modding in the same way that blizzard tries (and fails) to have a controlled esports.

Thirdly, this looks more like the sims store then anything else. I can completely see bethesda having such a model. They release a game, some expansion packs, and then a sprinkle of little store items like EA does with the sims. Only in this case they freelance some of the footwork to third parties (modders).

It isn't the end of modding because bethesda knows modding is the primary draw to their games; they even design their games to be open ended such that you make your own story (to varying degrees of success). It would be like blizzard saying we no longer want to support multiplayer gaming. The company would die.

10 hours ago, Sicarius001 said:

My 2 rules for Paid Modding to even be considered IMO:

1: 50/50 split MINIMUM, favouring mod author.
2: God damned MODERATION AND VERIFICATION! Seriously Beth, how do you screw that one up... I mean shit, at least make sure that they own the mod before you pay them...

seems they actually are gonna moderate this time, still dont like it though 

Skywind anyone? Lol Be interesting with beth support ¬‚¬

I'll wait and see but what they showed was pretty basic, there was also a line written somewhere about bethesda taking your ideas wich raised an eyebrow lol

Curious how they'll handle some of the alpha beta stuff for mods, then there's what help they provide, money etc.

It is a way around ps4 mods tho, so I'll give em that one.

And no, I don't think nexus will be killed off ¬‚¬ But hey, as long as LL is untouched I'm happy XD

Edited by KittyLordMeow-Meows

A great way to curb the rage would be to announce Obsidian is making a quest mod for Fo4.

At any rate, I don't mind as long as it's curated well and Bethesda adds intensive to create larger packs of stuff that are worth the money.  Pretty much agree with what Gopher said in his video about it.  Something I found interesting in the FAQ was that it states "Just like our own game developers, Creators are paid for their work and start receiving payment as soon as their proposal is accepted and through development milestones."  That almost sounds like Beth will pay Creators for development prior to the release of their mod, which sounds like it could help people devote more time to what they're working on.  I want to know more about payment methods before I pick a side.

Also, as an aside, I assume the credits system is so that you have to buy a minimum amount of bethesda-bucks with your credit card.  I have not been in retail for a while, but I'm pretty sure I remember business owners have to pay a charge every time they accept a credit card payment and I'm sure Beth doesn't want to be paying 50 cents to accept the 25 cent payment for the sword of coolness.

I watched some other stuff about the Creation Club and am confused. Is the new stuff really new? Or just old stuff rehashed? Or a bunch of mods crammed together? Or is it Bethesda new content? i.e. DLC? If it is good stuff, will it be expensive? Some one said $3 ... Meh... 

3 hours ago, Cryzeteur said:

I watched some other stuff about the Creation Club and am confused. Is the new stuff really new? Or just old stuff rehashed? Or a bunch of mods crammed together? Or is it Bethesda new content? i.e. DLC? If it is good stuff, will it be expensive? Some one said $3 ... Meh... 

Well, I don't know how expensive it'll be in real life, but you can see in the video that every content has a different price in credits. 

I love how Bethesda tries to test new stuff and keeps making fans angry xD 

Edited by Sebngarde
16 hours ago, ResistanceKnight said:

A great way to curb the rage would be to announce Obsidian is making a quest mod for Fo4.

I'd need a brand new game from Obsidian for that to happen lol

Built in fo4 or not lol

I really just want another fallout from Obsidian... 

Back on topic, how the heck would this work with the crappy voiced protag? I find it unlikely that quest mods and such would have voice acting from the current peeps, so would they even allow quest mods that have no voiced protag or require alternate dialogue systems?

Edited by KittyLordMeow-Meows
7 hours ago, KittyLordMeow-Meows said:

Back on topic, how the heck would this work with the crappy voiced protag? I find it unlikely that quest mods and such would have voice acting from the current peeps, so would they even allow quest mods that have no voiced protag or require alternate dialogue systems?

I don't think a few silent quests sprinkled around would be the end of the world.  Not ideal, but I don't see why Beth would stand in the way if it'd be a quest mod that would be making them money.

11 hours ago, ResistanceKnight said:

I don't think a few silent quests sprinkled around would be the end of the world.  Not ideal, but I don't see why Beth would stand in the way if it'd be a quest mod that would be making them money.

Fair point, I just figured they'd shoot for higher quality when it involves money. As much as I hate the voiced protag, it could push some people away. 

Then I have to wonder about mods taking stuff from other mods, would the peeps at beth even realize? '.' 

18 hours ago, KittyLordMeow-Meows said:

Fair point, I just figured they'd shoot for higher quality when it involves money. As much as I hate the voiced protag, it could push some people away. 

Then I have to wonder about mods taking stuff from other mods, would the peeps at beth even realize? '.' 

Legally, Bethesda owns all mods made with the Creation Kit or using any Bethesda resource. It is similar to what happens when an outside writer submits a script for a TV Show or a Marvel comic. The writer owns the idea not the product. Studios commonly buy the idea.

I wrote a script for Dr. Who and the studio liked it but did not have the resources to produce it, so they tore it apart and used bits for the next couple of seasons. It was so changed that I never got a dime.

I wrote a script for Indiana Jones and the Temple  of Doom. Instead of buying it George Lucas put it on his coffee table and thought about it for a month. He then wrote the script with enough changes so again I never saw a dime.

I normally got a half million for a script like that.

Edited by Cryzeteur