Gopher's Minions
Pajoonk

Spawn Slipstream Station (Mess at Spawn)

As many of you know already I started remodeling Spawn Slipstream entrance and station.

Why? Because I feel entrance to this very useful and impressive feat of work of @MaximusPower_, @Little_Luca, @ShawnBoucher and many others (sorry if I forgot/don't know) was not fitting, not grand, or just not visible, inviting enough for what it led to.

Because I design on the fly I can't show you any pictures of what I have in mind, and so far I was mostly busy gathering resources, receiving them and excavating area of the future station. You can roughly see the scope of new structure, as I am trying to work out good proportions, vistas and comfort of use. Keep in mind that after today's visit by Rodzyn plans changed a little and I'm in middle of re-excavating parts of build.

As for the plans, in broad strokes.

Materials:

Quartz, Prismarine (all types including lamp), Packed Ice, Glass and panes as railings. Maybe some carpets for colour coding. Some stone bricks where needed. For decor - original Maximus emerald blocks from previous station, valuable ores for Slipstream tunnels close to station.

Features:

Many ways up and down: stairs (horse friendly), minecart escalators (rabbits friendly), water drop (like NT's now, and maybe one for boats), water (or vine, or minecart) elevator with original quotes from Royal Architect (taken from existing water elevator).

Slipstream and nether entrances at spawn level will be somehow, aesthetically joined in one wall (original Nether entrance by Xelphos will not be changed).

Along the stairs, in entrance hall and on mezzanine of station I plan placing display cases for banners and maybe items and quotes from 10-20 most deserving, hardworking Minions (including mods/admins of Minionland)...probably I will take list from Minions Temple, and with those people try to work out the rest.

Boat dispensers with various boat types.

Some kind of pixel artwork on main wall (if it will be big enough in the end).

List of major travel destinations on main Slipstream lines.

Map of world (is it possible?)

Some other things probably...

Any discussion of those features is encouraged and appreciated, but I reserve the right to have final say with exception of staff opinions. After all it's Gopher's land and near of one of last remaining Xelphos'es builds.

Materials needed?

Honestly, everything listed as materials, above. Especially quartz and prismarine stuff. How much? I don't know yet. Like I said, I design as I build so I will ask on the fly too. For first parts of prototyping wall segments, making temporary, usable stairs down etc. I think I have enough. However if you wish to donate contact me or put materials (preferably with some form of info what and from whom it is) to my MTC chest (No 25) at World Tree. Tomorrow I will make donation chest (done) and extend temporary workshop and warehouse at spawn, cause your generosity extended beyond my chests capacity already (Donators wall is, and for some time will be at spawn, will make more permanent one after all is finished).

OK...I'm to sleepy now to write more with minimum of sense.

Good night good Minions o/

Pajoonk

Edited by Pajoonk
Corcted typos, clarified some things, changed title to more fitting one.

And I remembered already...

If you are good or decent in banner design please help.

I think I'm looking for two banners, each with S-like shape. One in colours of packed ice, one in colour of normal ice...both could have red(stone) accents. They will probably always be next to each other, together as one SlipStream sign. Any other ideas are welcome too.

You can send your ideas here, as link (I suggest some banner making page, like https://www.needcoolshoes.com/banner) or look me up on server.

Edited by Pajoonk

Quotes for Banner Gallery (WIP, feedback appreciated).

I think all should be written in antiquated English (like in Dark Souls outro).

Also... I don't know much about server beginnings so I need your help, comments with this ones.

For starters few of my proposals for inscriptions:

0. Gopher's

1. Dark Lord Gopher
  2. His Seed had'th created'th this World / need someone versed in those old, unused now english tenses...for all inscriptions)
  3. The First Explorer, First Gatherer, First Conqueror, First Builder / from order of his first actions in SP/
  4. His Will summoned Lesser Deities to prepare this World for arrival of Minions.

1. Xelphos'es (or Xelphos's ?)

1. Lesser Deity Xelphos / is there other word for Lesser Deiety?
  2. His titanic work prepared this World for our arrival / what to capitalize?
  3. Lost to us from reasons Unknown
  4. Always in our Hearts and Minds

2. Rodzyn's (have Rodzyn worked on server before launch?)

1. Lesser Deity Rodzyn /Jarl?
  2. Kind, caring Lesser Diety
  3. Walks among Us often in his humble, Minion form
  4. Taking away pain, easing cares of this World / some synonyms maybe? more antiquated.

3. Darkfire (did he helped with server launch?)

1. Demigod Darkfire
  2. Kind and helpful soul.
  3. Often summoned by Name in time of need.
  4. Arrives to ease our burdens.
Edited by Pajoonk

IIRC, 10 might already be pushing it. There's also a practical side: a few banners are interesting, but an entire wall of them quickly blends together. I'm all for a few to liven up the place though, and the Slipstream itself really does need one, so that we use them out in the world to mark access points.

48 minutes ago, Tirius said:

IIRC, 10 might already be pushing it. There's also a practical side: a few banners are interesting, but an entire wall of them quickly blends together. I'm all for a few to liven up the place though, and the Slipstream itself really does need one, so that we use them out in the world to mark access points.

I plan to space them out, each in its own display case. (5-7 blocks apart).

Are chunks loaded on all height or just 8 chunks above and below spawn?

We can move most of banners to mezzanine on station. Only few on ground level.

Some updates.

Made new office/workshop/warehouse (last one especially needed), and donation chest (hoppers to be exact). Don't need anything at the moment though.

Excavated rough volume for entrance room, excavated tunnel for second set of stairs. First set of stairs (still mock-up, closer to nether entrance) is ready to be horse-approved by Sanamia (as far as non half-slab stairs could be horse friendly). Still trying to work out exact position of stairs...even thinking if it is viable and good idea to make slab stairs in two or three flights instead of those one flight, straight ones. Both have their aesthetic and practical advantages.

We have new Slip platforms on mezzanine, which will lead directly to west and east main lines if our Slipstream builders approve Vice's idea and build the tunnels.

Work isn't going as fast as I would like constant distractions on server an RL does not help but I'm planning to really shape the build in next few days.

Regarding titular "mess" at spawn. It's a construction site - deal with it. I don't want and will not design it in creative and "print" from schematica in one evening. I design buildings in computer for a living. I sure as hell don't want to design (build) in computer buildings that then will be built again in computer, when I try to relax. Besides, I value opinion of all Minions about my work. Designing and building it on the go, under your eyes, hearing your opinions, suggestions, critique helps me. I believe I come up with better ideas than I ever would on my own in Creative.

Since it's very public place, and construction will take some time I decided to make it look a little like building site, at least at entrance part (which will be built last). Yes, it's little ugly now and clashes with everything around, but I prefer it to dirt hanging in air by magic. And every construction is little ugly at least at some point. I'm glad that most Minions appreciate this little touch.

To clarify: all functionality of previous station is there. Stairs (made them horse friendlier), drop-to-water and water elevator made by NT (and I will build my own before I will remove those). You have boat dispenser in place of boat chest (claim issues). I will plan construction in such way that any discomfort for travellers will be kept at minimum.

I think that's all for today.

Tomorrow just one little distraction, and whole day of excavating and placing blocks pretty...

Damn! I forgot I must mend my pick first!

Night Minions.

PS: Please, imagine emoticons where you feel they should be. My Firefox Mobile crashes when I try to write them. It hates imotionsch...

Edited by Pajoonk

On 14/03/2017 at 3:53 PM, Pajoonk said:

I plan to space them out, each in its own display case. (5-7 blocks apart).

Are chunks loaded on all height or just 8 chunks above and below spawn?

We can move most of banners to mezzanine on station. Only few on ground level.

Chunks are vertical slices. Each chunk is 16x16 blocks from bedrock to sky limit.

2 hours ago, Rodzyn said:

Chunks are vertical slices. Each chunk is 16x16 blocks from bedrock to sky limit.

So, to clarify - when you TP to spawn, how much chunks are loaded instantly...and in sphere, on cube shape?

Just want to know where will be safe to put more banners (keeping lag in mind).

Edited by Pajoonk

So stairs...and horses. Ugh...

Whole day (discounting distractions) I've tried to come up with proper stairs for those bloody ponnys.

Normal stairs are shortest but produce this stuttering when you ride down from them. I though slab stairs would get rid of this problem. I was so sure that I built them from bottom to top, tested....with same, stuttery result. And those stairs are twice as long, with one U-turn...less viable (travel time wise) for Minions on foot.

Slab stairs are OK when the steps are double depth, but those are 4 times as long as normal! Not anymore viable on foot, and 3 U-turns will be pain for riders too.

I even considered 2 different types of stairs, one as they are for Minions on foot, and one for Horses.

Finally I think I will settle for option C (or D) - winding stairs, based on ones in world tree, just wider for more ease of use for riders. Now I just need to figure out location. What defines the possible geometry of station are slipstream lines and entrance position. Those are fixed.

I may put stairs closer to entrance...or may I? I don't thing they is enough space from that. Placing them on far side of station will add unnecessary travel time. Seems like I will have to place them In middle, and rework mezzanine of station around it.

I'm not satisfied with such location, because I wanted for someone entering station to see all it's length. With stairs in middle he will see 1/2. But maybe...just maybe I will somehow shrink those winding stairs and put them in front?...

Forgive my ramblings. Just wanted to get this out of me to start fresh tomorrow.

But hey! At least no-one died at building site yet!

Night Minions o/

I'm promised a slave to clean horse poop every 30min.

Besides, like I probably said here or in chat - I'm all for giving people options. Some like stairs, some horses, some carts I can...try to understand all and accommodate to their needs if I can. As I can, I believe. We'll see in few hours.

Update.

Dug some holes under myself, even fell in Gophers'lava.

Finally got circle - base for new stairs right. I mean it's size, and stair geometry. I will probably move it closer to spawn to shorten travel distance.

You may test new stairs, on horseback and on foot little deeper into excavated area. Look for big circle ... i hope I covered all holes ;)

Tomorrow I will probably dig (maybe with Vice) whole staircase shaft.

There maybe time when station will be unavailable, or I will make some other stairs. Water drop and water elevator will be probably destroyed too tomorrow. Just be aware.

Night Minions,

Pajoonk

PS: Did I mentioned that during excavations I found a bat? Did I wrote I name tagged it "GophersVids" and managed to trap him on station platform? Well I do now ;)

Big hole was dug out with help of Vice Dellos, and stairs were laden into it.

You are free to test them on horses, on foot and with Elytras. Just be careful.

Speaking of carefulness and Elytra...always remember to put yours on after Ending Enders or gravity will end you.

Tomorrow I will probably make water drop and some kind of elevator, also work out how to get from level 0 (spawn) to stairs below, and what to do with them at station levels.

Night Minions o/

Help needed!

I'm looking for someone who would like, have time and will be able to create internal facade from glass panes - inside of staircase.

Facade should be something like Torre Agbar's in Barcelona:

Torre-Agbar.jpg

Colours though ranging from green on upper levels to light blue on lower ones (from grass of surface to ice of slipstream), and be from blue-green spectrum rather...maybe some orangy-red spots (lava) on lower levels (?).

Anyone interested in such challenge?

Edited by Pajoonk

On 03/17/2017 at 11:07 AM, Silverthorn1111 said:

I messed around with your design, and I hope that I chose two banners representing ice and packed ice best.

You can see them in front of entrance.

One again thank you for this simple but cool design.

OK...Firefox mobile crashed again.

I don't have time or patience to repeat all I wrote. So, in short:

Stairs, as in steps only, are finished.

Entrance is beginning to take shape.

We have functional, but not final in form, water drop and minecart elevator. Form will be finalized with construction of internal facade.

Tomorrow I will work on station level, main platform and mezzanine, to make it up to date with current main stairs design.

Maybe I will temporarily put birch fence to prevent people from jumping to their deaths from top of stairs (had two of those already).

Sadly using minecart elevator prevents me from recreating faithfully NT's quotes from his water elevator. I'm open to suggestions where and in what form we could recreate them... maybe somewhere along Slipstream to NT's castle? Maybe his display case, with banner will have them in some way or other?

Just reminder that I'm looking for glass pane Wizard to make internal facade. If you know of anyone, or are willing and able to design and build it please let me know.

I think that's all for this update.

Night Minions,

Pajoonk

Update.

Made temporary scaffolding preventing people from falling to their death from stairs. Stairs BTW were horseapproved by Sanamia today.

In final build those scaffolding will be replaced by stained glass internal facade.

After that I worked on geometry of entrance area. Made platform for future rail escalator stops and removed ground from above staircase (fenced the area so they will be no raining creepers). Ground covering staircase roof will return after the roof will be finished. I may have to interfere with original layout of area around spawn but I want this interference to be minimal, and ideally unnoticeable by Minions. This reminds me...I need to recreate Throne Room Warp sign.

Later I sculpted what will be, I think, final volume of station and mezzanine levels. Still need to work out how to get people to main SS line, now that we approach it from other side (now throne room line is in the way). Still need to half slab main levels also (of course it's slime chunk...). What you see excavated though will be the general geometry of final station.

Finally, with some time to spare before bedtime, not enough to start any other work I decided to make construction site warehouse into something more permanent. Maybe it's silly, but I think this warehouse, smelter and offices could be the official Slipstream base of operations, even after construction of station is done. Heck, it could be field office of Ministry of Transport. After construction, warehouse will be mostly empty and ready to store all materials needed to maintain and repair Main Slipstream lines, Nether Highways and Slipstream, P.U.N.T. Stations. It's central location is ideal for such function.

That's all for today I think.

Night.

Pajoonk.

Just a quick update before I pass out.

Main station level floor and walls are starting to take shape (all WIP and subject to change). Floor must be spawn-proof since it's a slime chunk, hence strange forms and materials.

We have functional but little crude boat dispenser system. Still no boat recovery. I will try to redstone it a little to make it more automated maybe.

Rail escalator is scratched from to-do list. It's simply unnecessary. Since we have fast ways down and up (water drop and minecart elevator) we simply don't need any AFK method of transport.

New idea emerged: water "cargo" elevator. For livestock and villagers. It will take those up, and on provided boat witch could than be sailed on nearby river and thus to Magasai, World Tree, Crossroads and many other locations. Easy and without Gopher's claim getting in the way.
This system will be on far side of station, away from entrance.

Thanks to Vice Dellos for help today.

Goodnight.

Edited by Pajoonk
Spelling.

Another update.

Main platform level (with N-S line and Throne Room line) is "finished".

Needs some final touches...and knowing me, complete rework tomorrow ;)

All comments are welcome.

For now station is in BYOB mode. Sorry, but i jumped the gun with boat dispensers yesterday. After I had to dismantle all of them to build new version of wall, I don't want to make same mistake again.

Boat dispensers will be moved to mezzanine level so people going to all lines would have them more or less on the way.

Vice will construct boat return system. If you want you will leave your boat before leaving the station, and it will be automatically transported to correct wood type dispenser.

Thanks to Vice for all his help (also new Line Banners!).

Thanks to Luca for helping me get rid of pesky lava lake, and with getting materials for continuous construction.

That's all folk's. I'm afraid I forgot something, or someone... Too sleepy.

Good night.

Update.

Repeatable walls on mezzanine are "done". Some of them will be replaced by banner / sign display case for our benefactors.

Other walls, in higher, eastern part and around stairs still need to be designed. As is ceiling (everything horizontal, above those walls is not final, including lighting).

We have temporary new CEO of Slipstream and I guess new Minister of self proclaimed Ministry of Transport. You can visit her at Spawn offices.

Tomorrow work on canteen in office THAN on Boat Distribution System (on) Mezzanine, and maybe those display cases, or eastern walls.

Night Minions o7

Edited by Pajoonk

Update.

Had some designers block today (at least for station itself) so I decided to design small Canteen in offices. It's now finished and offers food and ... more food to workers (at least for now).

Problem is we don't have worker for it since our canteenere cat, Canti, was promoted to be temporary CEO/Minister in absence of Maximuspowerus. Thanks to this almost no one slacks in the work and all projects (beside spawn station) go faster than before, but canteen is visibly unmanned (uncateed?) and selection of fish is lacking.

After Canteen I felt redstone withdrawal symptoms and decided to make colour changer for our bacon (thanks Shawn and Vagabond). It's now functioning and employees can change colours according to their mood and whom they want to piss off.

Lastly I began work on entrance to Heritage Site of Gopher's strip-mines (also entrance to bowels of the station itself probably). Sadly this was cut short by mandatory bedtime.

Night than o/