Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Mariela

Minions Forum RP Character Creation Guide

29 posts in this topic

Step 1: Choose a Race

The Elder Scrolls games have 10 playable races. They are; Altmer (High Elves), Argonian, Bosmer (Wood Elves), Breton, Dunmer (Dark Elves), Imperial, Khajiit, Nords, Orsimer (Orcs), and Redguard. I’m going to assume that most people have played at least some of the Elder Scrolls games so I’m not going to be going into the races in-depth. I’ve included links to all of the races on The Elder Scrolls Wiki if you need a refresher. Make sure you take into account the racial characteristics, social expectations, prejudices and natural talents of the different races when making your character.

Step 2: Choose Your Appearance

This is an often over looked part of the Character creation, at least in a written RP sense, but it can be very important to your fellow writers. Be sure to think about things like hair color and length, eye color, skin color, height, weight, age, build, scars, tattoos or piercings, and any other features that you feel are important to your character. This is not only good for you to have in mind but good for other RPer’s to know so they can imagine your character and write about them accurately. Also I like to draw the characters and it's nice to have a detail description to work from. ^_^

Step 3: Choose a Class

The Elder Scrolls have had many different types of Classes in its games. Most of the classes are based on the three major skill lines: Stealth, Magic, and Might. Stealth covers most Thief, Ranger, Nightblade, Rogue, Assassin and other classes that focus mostly on remaining unseen and killing quickly and quietly. Magic is used by Mages, Spellswords, Healers, Conjurers, Sorcerers, and other classes that utilize the Magical arts to attack or defend. Might is mainly used to describe Warriors, Knights, Barbarians, Crusader, and other classes that rely mostly on the power of their arm and the bite of their weapons. Many classes use two or three of the major skills like the Battlemage, Nightblade, and Spellsword. You can also create a character with any sort of skill combination or specializations that you like. This is really where your Character becomes unique. Make sure you have a good reason why you character has a certain skill. A farmhand who has never touched a sword in their life or been taught any magic could not be a Spellsword. You need to figure out not only WHAT your character is good at but WHY they are good at that. This, combined with the race you already choose, is the beginning of your character’s backstory. A backstory is necessary for an interesting and engaging character. It’s just good RP.

Step 4: Choose Skills/Equipment

This goes hand-in-hand with choosing a class. What does your Ranger character need to be a Ranger? Well a Bow and Arrows, of course, as well as some skill in Archery, Tracking, Sneaking, and other Ranger-like skills. It’s pretty easy to figure out what your character needs to fulfill the Class you have chosen. The basic attributes needed to be filled out are: Strength, Charisma, Dexterity, Wisdom, Intelligence, Constitution, and Magicka. Other, class based skills, should also be listed. Here are some possible skills for you to add to your character sheet: Unarmed, Sneaking, Fingersmith, Spell Casting, Speech, Light Armor, Heavy Armor, One-Handed Weapons, Two-Handed Weapons, Archery, Alchemy, Blacksmithing, and anything else that’s specific to your character.

Magical schools of study should be listed as well as any spells known. Try and keep to the magic system used in The Elder Scrolls games. The main schools of Magic in the Skyrim game are: Alteration, Conjuration, Destruction, Illusion, and Restoration. I’m including links to the Wiki pages for reference and only using the Skyrim version of the Schools for simplicity sake. Feel free to include any Spell from any of The Elder Scrolls Games but please consider how your character would have learned the spells.

Equipment should be any weapons, armor, jewelry, clothing, other supplies, and any personal tickets that are important to your character. Remember that just like skills you need to have a good reason why you have the items and weapons you have. You can’t have a full suit of glass armor just because you like it. Likewise make sure that the weapons are lore-friendly and again, make sense. Just use your best judgment and if in doubt ask a Mod or GM.

Step 5: Choose a Name

Some of you might be surprised that the Name is not the first step. This is just my personal preference and you can create a name at any point. I feel that a name is influenced by race, family and back story and can be influenced by class. For me a name is the frosting on top of the character. It should be unique and interesting and really describe the type of character you are creating. Again, think about WHY your character would have that name. These are the touches that brings a character to life.

Step 6: Fill out a Character Sheet

Now this character sheet is of my own design based on Pcat's version of the FATE or FUDGE game system. It’s a work in progress as we are all making this RP up as we go along but it’s a very good start.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Fill out the Skills using the ratings; Terrible, Poor, Mediocre, Fair, Good, Great, or Superb

Elder Scrolls RP Basic Character Sheet

NAME:

RACE:

CLASS:

APPEARANCE:

ATTRIBUTES

Strength:

Charisma:

Dexterity:

Wisdom:

Intelligence:

Constitution:

Magicka:

SKILLS (Fill out as many as you want and feel free to add any other skills your character might have)

Unarmed:

Sneaking:

Fingersmith:

Spell Casting:

Speech:

Light Armor:

Heavy Armor:

One-Handed Weapons:

Two-Handed Weapons:

Archery:

Alchemy:

Blacksmithing:

Enchanting:

MAGIC SCHOOLS/SPELLS (If applicable)

Alteration:

Conjuration:

Destruction:

Illusion:

Restoration:

EQUIPMENT/WEAPONS

Armor:

Weapons:

Other:

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I hope this helps anyone who’s interested in making a character and joining our RPG but were not sure where to start. Please let me know if you think anything should be changed or if you have any points I missed. Also feel free to ask me any questions, either here or in a PM.

Cheers!

No problem, Pcat! I'm happy to help with the move... let me know any other threads or whatever you'd like me to move. ^_^

EDIT: Oh! and thanks for my title! It makes me so happy!

Philosophercat likes this

I was wondering when you would notice. ;)

Wait, we can have titles?! Can I have "Master of Blue" pleaseeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee?

Just as a note for the games I'm running: I'm very flexible when it comes to character creation and would take the character sheet as a guide but you can add or leave out whatever you fancy with the exception of the attributes. Take a concept for a person you'd like to play, give me the attributes and a little backstory and we're good to go :)

You know, I never did come around to asking this. But to what extent should we reveal our character's arsenals, be it equipment or spells or combat capability?

You know, I never did come around to asking this. But to what extent should we reveal our character's arsenals, be it equipment or spells or combat capability?

I personally like to reveal pretty much everything, but I always keep a few little tricks up my sleeve :)

Very good question though, I'd like to know that as well

Well as for my game I think I'd like to know just about everything your character has... it there are items you wish to be "secret" or otherwise unknown you can pm me...

Now I don't expect everyone to give me a full inventory down to the last sock or anything... but if it's important I need to know about it... Dose that make sense?

the only things I personally hold back are things that help me envision the character that don't necessarily matter to the story. In the case of Soris, for instance, Marie knows what it hidden, so that she can take it into account for story telling. Everything else, I pretty much lay out there, in case another character who has a skill with perception. Other things I include to help give an advance notice of personality quirks, or the like.

**edit**

in the event of something hidden, though, because, like CSI, everything leaves a trace, I'll leave some subtle hint that often only makes sense when explained.

In my game, I discussed holding back certain abilities or background stories from the other players so that these things would come out in the course of the story. But I think it's vital that the gamemaster know, at least.

Well crap gonna have my work cut out for me then. =_= Aerinir and Noctis biopages definitely need some brushing up.

You're fine for Aerinir in my game at least! Don't sweat it. :)

ForestGale likes this

So, what kind of characters does this board prefer anyways? Do they like adventuring types, or the ones that are hilariously out of place in their environment (yes, that was a Richard allusion)? I have two characters that could work out very well- and very differently.

Throw it out there, and see what happens. We may be tapped for the current stories, but there's no telling if the storyteller may have a passing need for you, only to come back in a later tale. No story is ever truly closed ended.

So, what kind of characters does this board prefer anyways? Do they like adventuring types, or the ones that are hilariously out of place in their environment (yes, that was a Richard allusion)? I have two characters that could work out very well- and very differently.

The gamemasters would be able to tell you if the characters are suitable. At the moment we only have two: myself (running Between the Lines) and [uSER=41]@Mariela[/uSER] running Thick As Thieves). She's said that she only wants one or two more characters, I think. I'm not yet sure if my game is 'full' or not. Feel free to send me a message to run your characters by me and I'll see if I can work them in.

Otherwise, people are free to start a new game as well. You don't even need to use the character creation posted here. It's just what we ended up with after trying out a few things on the old forum. :) The stories, characters, and RP just have to abide by the general rules of the forum.

So, what kind of characters does this board prefer anyways?

I always enjoy seeing a variety of characters, so as long as the GM thinks they're okay I'd love to see what you come up with.

On a different note, I have been thinking about a Fallout RP, but I'd have to come up with a rough version of a story first. Would there be interest for that sort of thing?

I always enjoy seeing a variety of characters, so as long as the GM thinks they're okay I'd love to see what you come up with.

On a different note, I have been thinking about a Fallout RP, but I'd have to come up with a rough version of a story first. Would there be interest for that sort of thing?

Interest is a yes for me, but my Fallout lore is infinitely more rusty than Elder Scrolls though.....

my Fallout lore is infinitely more rusty than Elder Scrolls though.....

So is mine, but I don't think it's that big of a deal. If you need to know something there's always the wiki ;)

I would be interested, but my plate is officially too full. I'm going to be going on a temporary streaming hiatus because we're about to go into production for my next short film, and i've still got this script that I need to quadruple in size.

I'd be interested in a Fallout RP, only because it would mean I learn something about it. I've never played (or got very far) in the Fallout games. Having said that, at this point in time I'd probably just be an observer. It would be unfair on the other two RP's for me to take on a third (as I tend to already run late with responses), I am also getting into a hellish month with regards to Uni.

I wasn't planning on starting it anytime soon, since I'll have to work out a story and all that. I'd probably wait until the current RP's are a bit further or at least one of them is finished. That'll probably take a while, so that gives me some time to work something out. Good to see there's interest though :)

Schmidy likes this

I'm super interested! It's actually something I have been considering starting myself... cuz I'm a huge Fallout Fangirl and it sounds like sooo much fun!