Gopher's Minions

Wither Pads, Railways and South / Green Nether Road. Also Horses.

So there are four topics I want to cover in this post.

The first is a thank you to all those who have been helping slab around the wither pads to increase spawns and a general appeal for more people to aid in this endeavor.

The second topic is the lack of an express rail on the Green (south) Nether Highway and in particular how awkward it is to get to the Wither Pads when you have to change tracks twice, let alone all the station stops.  We need an express lane like they have on the blue road, one leading from Spawn Hub all the way to the Wither Pads without any stops along the way.

Thirdly I would like to propose that all regular wither hunters should form a cooperative, donating say one skull each to create a beacon set at the pads.
Regen first of all, and then str, speed etc if more donations come in.

Fourthly - Horses.  They are littering the Nether, blocking tracks and generally causing lag.  People, please don't abandon your faithful steeds.  Or at the very least, make sure they are left where they won't easily wander out over the road.  And while I mention it, there are a lot of abandoned dogs showing up all over the world too, from Spawn to The End.

And fifthly, when all that is done.  A redesign of the pads to make them more efficient might be in order, but that isn't a priority.

Yours in good hope.

Goatcha.

2 hours ago, Goatcha said:

So there are four topics I want to cover in this post.

The first is a thank you to all those who have been helping slab around the wither pads to increase spawns and a general appeal for more people to aid in this endeavor.

The second topic is the lack of an express rail on the Green (south) Nether Highway and in particular how awkward it is to get to the Wither Pads when you have to change tracks twice, let alone all the station stops.  We need an express lane like they have on the blue road, one leading from Spawn Hub all the way to the Wither Pads without any stops along the way.

Thirdly I would like to propose that all regular wither hunters should form a cooperative, donating say one skull each to create a beacon set at the pads.
Regen first of all, and then str, speed etc if more donations come in.

Fourthly - Horses.  They are littering the Nether, blocking tracks and generally causing lag.  People, please don't abandon your faithful steeds.  Or at the very least, make sure they are left where they won't easily wander out over the road.  And while I mention it, there are a lot of abandoned dogs showing up all over the world too, from Spawn to The End.

And fifthly, when all that is done.  A redesign of the pads to make them more efficient might be in order, but that isn't a priority.

Yours in good hope.

Goatcha.

You got my skull!

Well said. I would be remiss if I missed the opportunity to offer my humorous. Perhaps we can build a little man when we're done.

I would like to preempt the inevitable comment of no sky in the Nether here as well. A beacon will work if it has an unobstructed path to the sky OR to bedrock. This was made purposefully so beacons could function in the Nether.

1 hour ago, BUNYANSaxe1943 said:

Perhaps we can build a little man when we're done.

This is going to cost me an arm and a leg, isn't it? Personally, I like the PUNTS effort (and thus supported the establishing of a donkey post on our road), hopefully this will prevent people bringing their own steed into the nether. I will have to draw the line when poodles are left on my porch though. :P

Can't comment on the wither stuff, as I've not bothered with that yet. Too busy gathering wool.

1 hour ago, BUNYANSaxe1943 said:

Well said. I would be remiss if I missed the opportunity to offer my humorous. Perhaps we can build a little man when we're done.

I would like to preempt the inevitable comment of no sky in the Nether here as well. A beacon will work if it has an unobstructed path to the sky OR to bedrock. This was made purposefully so beacons could function in the Nether.

I know Mojang has said that beacons will work (although the beams won't appear) as long as there's an unobstructed path to the bedrock roof of the Nether, but I believe there's an issue with netherrack being between the bedrock blocks that will prevent it from working. I've never been able to get a beacon working without punching a hole in the bedrock.

7 hours ago, Goatcha said:

Define redesign.

I used this guide thing when i built them:

I have no clue how to make them more efficient other than slabbing the area around it. I don't even think it's possible.

Edited by cimi
4 hours ago, cimi said:

Define redesign.

I have no clue how to make them more efficient other than slabbing the area around it. I don't even think it's possible.

Reveal hidden contents

You'd have to talk to Bunyansaxe about that, he is the one who mentioned it to me and is doing all the research.
Short version is more pads up and down and while standing at top you should be able to see all lower levels so the mobs have nowhere to hide, which is a problem atm, that and the stairs looking like bits of wall.   All the same its a tremendous effort to achieve what has been achieved and we are all very grateful to you Cimi. It works well enough for now and any restructuring to be more efficient can probably wait a while.

5 hours ago, cimi said:

Define redesign.

As best I can find, in 1.8 fortresses spawns were 'bugfixed' because players found an exploit that would allow wither skeletons to spawn in 2.5 block spaces. Apparently the way it was recoded can be exploited to increase spawnable platform size to the bounding box of the potential fortress spawn instead of just the bounds of the actually spawned fortress. Basically we find the the bounds of the fortress as a cube, demo it, and build solid layers between those bounds every 3 blocks.

I haven't personally experimented with this method but the author of the video (see below) has said in his comments that this still works in 1.10.2. Because this was a recode I don't think this will be patched out. One thing to note is that this method requires netherbrick to be used IF the platforms exist outside of the world gen fortress.

15 hours ago, Goatcha said:

Fourthly - Horses.  They are littering the Nether, blocking tracks and generally causing lag.  People, please don't abandon your faithful steeds.  Or at the very least, make sure they are left where they won't easily wander out over the road.

This was one of the things PUNT was supposed to help solve. The idea is not to just bring public animals into the nether but also to provide places to put them. So far their are 4 PUNT stables today I went to put one at the pads and found one had already  been built. If you ride out the the pads and find a PUNT abandoned let me know. 1,2,4,5,6,7 are mine and I can tp them to an appropriate stable. We will  work out the others. One solution would be to ride the PUNT back the way your going drop it off at a stable and bring your horse to you then. It really bugs me having horses (and dogs) abandoned all  over the place the new zh plug in should have cleared this up but it definitely seems to be getting worse. 

Well, feel free to improve it if it's possible. People already did a great job slabbing the area, building stairs, adding a railway and building a fancy tunnel.

Now on a slightly unrelated topic, anyone tried to break the bedrock with the tnt method? I tried once, the piston heads broke, but it failed to remove the bedrock.

(would be nice to have a slipstream on top of the nether. )

1 hour ago, jeancly said:

Wow guys 4 beacons ? Nice ! When I finish my tree I may start farming wither as I want 6 beacons in my house, when the time comes I will contribyte

Godaishu has claimed the area around the beacon, so I guess we have him to thank, and thanks to anyone else who helped him.
The stables were built last night too, cam't remember by whpo, Magasai maybe or Jldoner. Anyway grateful to whoever did it.
They still need some work, not deep enough or high enough, I'll work on that now I think, I already added some hay for the stalls.
I also spent some time today putting extra glass around most of the death drops at Wither so its much more difficult now to be killed by a stray fireball knocking you over the edge.
Hopefully it won't negatively impact spawns, at any rate though its much safer now.

Only one horse causing trouble there atm, Sosinchen's Black Lightning.

1 hour ago, jeancly said:

Wow guys 4 beacons ? Nice ! When I finish my tree I may start farming wither as I want 6 beacons in my house, when the time comes I will contribyte

Yeah got speed, str, regen and resistance.  Realistically all we need there.

I would like to redesign the witherpads to be similar to the design shown on the hermitcraft server season 4. I can do the work myself; however, I don't want to do such a thing without approval first. This redesign would keep the current spawn rates however allow the user to more quickly look for the mobs. If admins allowed for it I can implement one of the many redstone builds for the pads; however, this is unlikely as there is no farm that is not laggy.

@Ovagi

I left the wither pads unclaimed for a reason ^^ I don't mind if you improve the quality of life at the pads.

Use redstone contraptions only, and only if you get permission from an admin.

Also please remember that while i made the pads, a lot of people spent time improving the area. You might still want to ask people in the in-game chat if they want a redesign.

My only requests are: please don't make it uglier than it is right now and don't use cobble. I've got several chests with pure stone at home if you need  materials.

Edit: I have a feeling that the wither pads are the most... community-made project on the server. Sure we have tunnels and roads, but those are made by a couple of persons / road. Meanwhile at the witherpads there are tons of people helping. From adding glass, making it safer, adding stairs, slabbing the entire area to adding a railway and making a nice tunnel...

We need a board at the witherpads where we write everyones name and what they did for the farm.

Edited by cimi