Damon Gant

Announcement
Minecraft Server Stress Test - Saturday, 18:00 UTC

17 posts in this topic

Hello again!

It looks like we may have caught the Minecraft server issue. So we're going to have a little stress test tomorrow (22. Oct) at 18:00 UTC. Click the link to get converted time. Please connect and go after your usual business if you can.

We will start with 100 slots and then continue to bump up slots as long as the server remains stable.

See you there!

59 minutes ago, Damon Gant said:

Hello again!

It looks like we may have caught the Minecraft server issue. So we're going to have a little stress test tomorrow (22. Oct) at 18:00 UTC. Click the link to get converted time. Please connect and go after your usual business if you can.

We will start with 100 slots and then continue to bump up slots as long as the server remains stable.

See you there!

If you don't mind me asking, what was the possible issue?

Chardin112 likes this

1 minute ago, Damon Gant said:

I think I sent you PM about that, but in short, one of the drives was definitely faulty. We dropped it from the RAID and write speed went up 10x.

Huh. I hope that solves the issue because that will be awesome if it does.

And if you did PM me, no way in hell I got it. Buried in Welcome Messages because all that is still linked to my account.

Edited by Xelphos
Damon Gant and Nakor88 like this

6 hours ago, Damon Gant said:

Thanks everybody for showing up! We have eliminated a few major causes of TPS drop and can sustain the server at at least 15 TPS 99% of the time. I'll probably get a blogpost written about the technical details soon!

awesome ! was it the render distance ? because it was dropped to 8 right ? or is this a supplementary action ?

6 minutes ago, jeancly said:

awesome ! was it the render distance ? because it was dropped to 8 right ? or is this a supplementary action ?

It was a combination of

• Failing Hard Drive
  • Faulty Backup Script that caused chunks to never be unloaded and get stuck in memory (cumulative lag after the script ran, we didn't reenable saving before a 1 hour compression task)
  • SuperVanish (checks permission used to determine if one can be seen every tick on every player in range, this showed especially when 2 admins vanished around the Gopher-crowd)
  • View Distance (especially when a lot of players are far spread out this will save a lot of loaded chunks)
Gorzkiewski likes this

1 minute ago, Damon Gant said:

It was a combination of

• Failing Hard Drive
  • Faulty Backup Script that caused chunks to never be unloaded and get stuck in memory (cumulative lag after the script ran, we didn't reenable saving before a 1 hour compression task)
  • SuperVanish (checks permission used to determine if one can be seen every tick on every player in range, this showed especially when 2 admins vanished around the Gopher-crowd)
  • View Distance (especially when a lot of players are far spread out this will safe a lot of loaded chunks)

well then this stress test was damn useful XD a shame for the view distance but i guess it can't be helped.

12 minutes ago, Silverthorn1111 said:

This is great news ! View distance of 8 feels kind of low tho, but a least it will give us more FPS. gopherVaultStiv

it is actually really really low T.T well if it is the only way let's stay like this... aaaand tps, not fps XD

4 hours ago, jeancly said:

it is actually really really low T.T well if it is the only way let's stay like this... aaaand tps, not fps XD

Well, TPS *and* FPS for some people.  Low TPS goves lag which could lower your FPS.

2 hours ago, TiDinzeo said:

Well, TPS *and* FPS for some people.  Low TPS goves lag which could lower your FPS.

interesting, to me lag means freeze, not fps drop.

TPS only ever refers to server lag, it can not affect clients unless you use a mod that somehow relies on chunks loading fast.

With low TPS, you'll notice:

• Laggy Mobs
  • Slow/No growth on farms
  • Slow chunk loading
  • Slow minecarts
  • Slower furnace process (A TPS of 15 means it is at 3/4 of it's "vanilla" speed)
  • Blocks not dropping / respawning
  • Laggy movements from other players
  • Kicks due to "wrong movement"
  • Inability to use entities (chests, hoppers, minecarts), place blocks

The more drastic things usually happen at anything below 12 TPS, because then the server will fall behind processing incoming events.

jeancly likes this

15 minutes ago, Damon Gant said:

TPS only ever refers to server lag, it can not affect clients unless you use a mod that somehow relies on chunks loading fast.

With low TPS, you'll notice:

• Laggy Mobs
  • Slow/No growth on farms
  • Slow chunk loading
  • Slow minecarts
  • Slower furnace process (A TPS of 15 means it is at 3/4 of it's "vanilla" speed)
  • Blocks not dropping / respawning
  • Laggy movements from other players
  • Kicks due to "wrong movement"
  • Inability to use entities (chests, hoppers, minecarts), place blocks

The more drastic things usually happen at anything below 12 TPS, because then the server will fall behind processing incoming events.

Interesting. ... this explain also my cows following me on a " oooh ! Wheat I love wheat ! NO I hate wheat! Now I like it, no I hate it, now like, hate , like , hate"

5 hours ago, jeancly said:

Interesting. ... this explain also my cows following me on a " oooh ! Wheat I love wheat ! NO I hate wheat! Now I like it, no I hate it, now like, hate , like , hate"

You sure that wasn't because you got arbitrary cattle? Maybe they're part feline...CATtle, one not even say. ;) 

Gorzkiewski, jeancly and Darkfire like this

I really meant FPS because if my view distance is set to 8, I get 60fps all the time xD

But yeah Tps will be better to... :lol:

Edited by Silverthorn1111