Gopher's Minions

It is similar to MUD only set up more in line with the traditional tabletop party. A PbP, or play by post, is the implementation of a tabletop roleplaying game, such as D&D or Pathfinder, via forums.

I saw there have been a few that were seemingly attempted to be run here, but they seem to have run dry. It seems they were using a mostly free for format rather than a traditional system since these forums probably don't have a dice rolling mechanic. That is something we could probably work around, though.

1 hour ago, Shiroi_gaijin said:

Our other ones kinda got killed by life happening to people. Which sucked, because we had some awesome characters and pretty good writing. 

That's the best reason to end midway through a game. Still would be nice to try to keep games going with at least one post a week or something to that effect until it can pick back up, though. Unfinished games suck.

1 hour ago, Slushy_Bucket said:

In this digital age would it not be PbE

I'm not sure what you mean by that, honestly. What would PbE be?

Also, what systems are we all familiar with around here? I'm familiar with D&D 3.5 and up, Stars Without Numbers, a couple of Star Wars systems, and I'm looking into Open Legends. (SWN and Open Legends both have free source books if anyone is interested in them.)

1 hour ago, UnseeingNine said:

I'm familiar with D&D 3.5 and up

i happen to be familiar with 3.5 and down  :D

well, starting from 2nd edition, to be precise

but the majority of our RL and forum games were played by our own 'home rules'

well, home rules is probably even an understatement - our best game master have created what i would call a full-fledged game system

and it kept us together for more than 10 years, maybe even close to 15

Edited by Arjy Yu

I wanted to get around to making a RP based around my Fallout Alaska Fan Lore. But I don't think we have the active RPer user base to accommodate any more than one RP. I thought about some sort of Faction based RP with Game of Thrones Political elements based in Fallout Alaska, where every Faction has a few RPers who want to advance their own personal goals.

Another was a Pre-Alliance Fallout Alaska where the Big Factions had yet to make peace with each other, in a more lawless landscape. With a Rogue Gallery of Criminals, Mercs and Adventurers. Kinda like a typical DnD Party but with more freedom to swap out players when RL overtakes them.

Edited by VATROU

@Arjy Yu it is awesome that worked our for you. PbP has a disadvantage, though. Discussing stuff takes a lot longer over forums, so it tends to work better to use a system that everyone is already familiar with.

3 minutes ago, VATROU said:

I don't think we have the active RPer user base to accommodate any more than one RP.

The whole point of this thread is to find out how many active players we have and what they're interested in.  I'm interested in doing a couple different games if we have enough players and a couple people running games.

I tend to be picky these days. I just don't have a lot of time to join every RP that looks interesting. I wish I have more time, but I don't. And if I make a RP I want to be sure I have a good player base and a Co-GM to help when i cannot. But should something really catch my eye or I have time to start a RP I'll be around.

I have a concept for Fallout, not for Alaska/Anchorage but for a Chinese Theatre of play. 

The Yangtze Theatre

In 2074 contrary to their claims of seeking only to retake Alaska from the Reds, American Power Armor units, infantry, and mechanized divisions were deployed to China, but they became bogged down on the mainland, putting a further drain on American resources and supply lines. Now, in January 2075 a third launch of armor is being prepared.

Having a finger in every pie is what makes a good company a great company. 
By making sure all bases are covered, Vault Tec relies on every outcome to make profit. 
It doesn't matter who wins, only Vault Tec comes out above all other contestants. 
At any cost.

And the Angels Sounded

And hail and fire followed, mingled with blood, and they were thrown to the earth. 
And a third of the trees were burned up, and all green grass was burned up.
And something like a great mountain burning with fire was thrown into the sea, and a third of the sea became blood.
And a great star fell from heaven, burning like a torch, and it fell on a third of the rivers and on the springs of water. 
A third of the waters became wormwood, and many men died from the water, because it was made bitter.
And a third of the sun was struck, a third of the moon, and a third of the stars, so that a third of them were darkened. 
A third of the day did not shine, and likewise the night.

— Revelations

It’s all over and I’m standing pretty, in the dust that was a city.

- Nena, 99 Luftballoons

Seeking to protect business interests and their oil supply, the United States begins to exert increasing pressure on Mexico beginning in 2051. This cited the political instability and pollution stemming from Mexico as a threat to the United States. Various economic sanctions serve to destabilize Mexico, and the United States military entered Mexico to keep the oil refineries running and making sure oil and fuel continue to make their way north across the border at Mexico's expense.

The Resource Wars were a series of conflicts that began in April 2052 with the start of the war between the European Commonwealth and the Middle East.

2066----2075 (ongoing)
With conditions deteriorating between the United States and China, a military presence in Alaska was established to prevent a possible invasion across the Bering Strait. With increasingly scarce oil reserves, a last deep-sea deposit below the Pacific Ocean was claimed by China before allegedly being sabotaged by American special operatives. Strained relationships spiraled downward into conflict as China marched on Alaska, and the Sino-American War of 2066 erupted.
Under the command of General Jingwei, the Chinese Army usurped control of Alaska's oil pipeline and reserves and stationed themselves in the city of Anchorage. In response, the Americans initiated a series of sabotage operations to cripple the Chinese military strength and both belligerents began throwing men at each other in the trenches of Alaska.

With the inception of American mechanized Power Armor troops in the city of Shantou in the province of Quandong, on December 4th 2074, the retaliation begun.

The next step is to hit three targets along the Yangtze river: Three Gorges Dam, Nanjing and Shanghai.

INTEL report that 127th Light Mechanized Infantry Division of the 54th Army PLA is fortifying Nanjing in late December 2074.

The theater of "The Long River" will be played in three acts starting with act 1: The Dam under three veils.

Nellis Air Force Base

Location for the team-meetup and deployment for troops engaging in act 1 of the Yangtze Campaign.

USAF_Fighter_Weapons_School_F-80_44-8518 nellis-area2-map1.gif

Could this be a theatre anyone would like to be part of? Game system will be another discussion, should the concept be acceptable.
/Dave
Edited by Dave Syrinx
2 hours ago, Dave Syrinx said:

So, what system do you prefer? I'm really only comfortable with Basic Roleplaying like Call Of Cthulhu & Rune Quest ruelse. I've not learnt D&D properly and everything else feels new. 

Honestly, for a Fallout game, I like the idea of using Stars Without Number. It has power armor, guns, and advanced vehicles that could be used to represent pre-war tech. You would strip away some of the more advanced space stuff and the faction system would have to be reworked or just disregarded. We could try to find another system that might work better, though.

Honestly, for a Fallout game, I like the idea of using Stars Without Number. It has power armor, guns, and advanced vehicles that could be used to represent pre-war tech. You would strip away some of the more advanced space stuff and the faction system would have to be reworked or just disregarded. We could try to find another system that might work better, though.

Actually, an Old Forum member Tycho the Wanderer for Bethsoft made a DnD like Ruleset for a Fallout RP https://docs.google.com/document/d/1Pjw_Cg0YopDfov-Ie_xOxkGGDFUAi-RImhnSZfxGyzY/edit?usp=sharing

Edited by VATROU

I'm not a huge fan, personally. Its a bit complicated and unpolished for my taste.

Yeah it was a Beta, he was going to tweak it mid game as we worked out the kinks but I guess Life got in the way and I haven't seen him since. So this is all I got. Shame really it was starting to be kinda fun, most of the RPs on Bethsoft have had no rulesets just basic common sense and play by ear. And when someone started Godmodding or breaking rules the GMs would step in and deal with it. 

I think SWN is a good base because it has all the SciFi elements we need and then some. Monsters will need a bit of reskinning and Psionics will have to be slimmed down and replaced by a technology based class which offers a narrower selection of disciplines but still viable.

We may be able to borrow some of the stuff, particularly guns and ammo jumps to mind, from the one you linked to, though, if players are more interested in staying true to the game than they are in simplicity. It could definitely be an invaluable resource.