Philosophercat

Announcement
News! News! News!

25 posts in this topic

A lot has gone on this week so I'm going to do my best to sum things up as effectively as I can. Keep in mind, though, that a lot of things are still in flux. And I'll be keeping this post short as well because even what I do know "for sure" may change shortly. :) It's that kind of week.

Whenever there are changes in a group, when some leave or others join for whatever reason, there is always some chaos. The issue this week is that we had multiple changes pile up rapidly. We've had a lot of new members due to the new Minecraft server, most of @Gopher's admins retired within a short space of time, we more than doubled the number of staff, and we moved all of our staff discussions to a new platform. All of this has caused more than a little chaos.

The facts as I know them atm are these:

@Damon Gant our sysadmin is out of retirement. gopherVaultStiv

@Rodzyn has been promoted from admin to server admin for the Minecraft server. Many of you will know him as the Jarl of our popular Stivarstead Hold modded Minecraft server which he ran for years. He is working closely with @Gopher to bring the server in line with what our Dark Lord's dark dreams for it are. Do whatever you can to assist him, and please be patient with the transition. :)

@Xelphos has retired as my co-admin and admin of the Minecraft server. I'm working on a retirement present of sorts, but with the chaos and the abruptness of the situation, it will be a little late. Everyone will have a chance to take part and celebrate him soon. :)

And lastly, one of the staff brought me out of retirement so I'll be sticking around for the time being. Since I did not plan to come out of retirement, I don't really know myself how long this will last.

That is all that I know for certain thus far.

Is MInecraft business causing all this furor? I do not get into this title at all, and have not seen any of the vids, so I am curious if the stuff I have been hearing from streamers on other channels rings true here, too. One game streamer said that both Minecraft and one of these league games (ie; League of Legends or Rocket League) had such chat chaos that she considered quitting gaming.

Just now, Elhanan said:

Is MInecraft business causing all this furor? I do not get into this title at all, and have not seen any of the vids, so I am curious if the stuff I have been hearing from streamers on other channels rings true here, too. One game streamer said that both Minecraft and one of these league games (ie; League of Legends or Rocket League) had such chat chaos that she considered quitting gaming.

There is no one single cause, to be honest. A few things, the server included, were catalysts but it's a complex and ongoing situation.

1 hour ago, Slushy_Bucket said:

Stuff happens and change always comes, I wish the retired staff well in their endeavors, and welcome the new staff.

Thanks for the update @Philosophercat and don't take this the wrong way but I hope you're re-retirement doesn't come soon.

Nearly this, but more a case of I hope we're ready for whenever it comes.  I have a feeling we won't be because you're hard, or possibly even impossible to replace.

Thanks for helping out like this Pcat. I would not manage without you :)

I think she knows. :P 

Spoiler

5UOq2hS.gif

I love those staff topics. I need more of 'em.

Cryzeteur likes this

There's just one thing I'd like to say.

If there's some discord amongst/between the staff and Gopher... I think we (not-staff) should know about it. 

On 17.10.2016. at 6:35 PM, Philosophercat said:

A few things, the server included, were catalysts but it's a complex and ongoing situation.

I hate it when things look perfectly fine on the surface, everything seems fine and dandy, and then something happens and all hell breaks loose, and the truth becomes visible - that there obviously were and still are serious fights among the "core group",or "pillars", so to speak.

"but it's a complex and ongoing situation" and I believe that we should (have) know(n) about it. (This may be because I've been here for a long time and because throughout my life I've been lied to about situations and things, and I've grown really weary of it.)

Edited by Apocalypso
Changed "but" to "and".

41 minutes ago, Apocalypso said:

If there's some discord amongst/between the staff and Gopher... I think we (not-staff) should know about it. 

Being indiscrete is polarily opposite from being a sound professional that this position requires. Not mentioning that it is fairly impolite to uncover the issues which may be solved in private and leads to situations that the staff usually ought to mitigate. 

Edited by Gorzkiewski
That being said, I find your option more entertaining.

1 hour ago, Gorzkiewski said:

Being indiscrete is polarily opposite from being a sound professional that this position requires. Not mentioning that it is fairly impolite to uncover the issues which may be solved in private and leads to situations that the staff usually ought to mitigate. 

This is true.

Of course inter personal conflicts are a part of it- that should be understood when I discussed group dynamics. Tensions rise and tempers flare but the cause is usually something else entirely- or causes, in this case since we have at least three more or less independent situations with their own causes and circumstances stacked on each other. Why I retired has nothing to do with why anyone else did, or why we needed more staff, or move staff discussions to a new platform etc...

I can give you my opinion, for what it is worth. I think we had too many changes at once which put tremendous strain on everyone. People who were already weary were pushed beyond their coping point. Right now we're trying to improve communication all around to prevent anyone feeling overwhelmed again and get at any tensions which may be bottled up somewhere.

I understand you both, @Gorzkiewski and @Philosophercat. Yeah, you're right. I'm prolly being a bit too sensitive. As I've said, I've just grown weary of people pretending everything's alright when it ain't so.

Well, that and the fact that another name for my personality type is "The Councelor", always trying to make compromises, etc. I cannot stand discord between people I consider "friends", members of the same community.

Anyway, you're right.

Philosophercat likes this

16 minutes ago, Apocalypso said:

I understand you both, @Gorzkiewski and @Philosophercat. Yeah, you're right. I'm prolly being a bit too sensitive. As I've said, I've just grown weary of people pretending everything's alright when it ain't so.

Well, that and the fact that another name for my personality type is "The Councelor", always trying to make compromises, etc. I cannot stand discord between people I consider "friends", members of the same community.

Anyway, you're right.

*whispers* I'm an INFJ too but don't tell anyone, okay?

2 hours ago, Apocalypso said:
3 hours ago, Philosophercat said:

*whispers* I'm an INFJ too but don't tell anyone, okay?

:o

Then you're the only other one I know of... 

Considering that one has to take various MBTI tests, have somehow similar outcomes, accept that it is a valid way of categorising and share it - you might not be all alone. ;) 

Philosophercat likes this

6 minutes ago, Gorzkiewski said:

Considering that one has to take various MBTI tests, have somehow similar outcomes, accept that it is a valid way of categorising and share it - you might not be all alone. ;) 

Honestly, dividing people into 16 categories can only be so accurate, plus confirmation bias exists. And consider these tests are always heavily criticised by actual psychologists,

Philosophercat and Gorzkiewski like this

1 hour ago, Damon Gant said:

But honestly, dividing people into 16 categories can only be so accurate, plus confirmation bias exists. And consider these tests are always heavily criticised by actual psychologists,

Precisely so.

4 hours ago, Apocalypso said:

:o

Then you're the only other one I know of... 

We usually keep to The Code. >_>

Gorzkiewski likes this

1 hour ago, Gorzkiewski said:

How do you mean ? :huh:

You completely misunderstood what I was trying to say.

I know I'm not the only one, that's statistically impossible, it would be almost pretentious of me to think I'm the only one. I was just saying that she's the only other human that I now know of that has taken the test and also got the same results. Many people I hang out with could also be the same MBTI type, but since they have not told me I cannot say that I know what type they are. 

6 hours ago, Apocalypso said:

How do you mean ? :huh:

You completely misunderstood what I was trying to say.

I know I'm not the only one, that's statistically impossible, it would be almost pretentious of me to think I'm the only one. I was just saying that she's the only other human that I now know of that has taken the test and also got the same results. Many people I hang out with could also be the same MBTI type, but since they have not told me I cannot say that I know what type they are. 

Well here's a 3rd. Though that might be different now... I haven't taken one in 4 years. I'll probably take it again before posting on the thread. XD 

Back on topic... it's good to have you back Pcat, though I wasn't here when you left. :) I hope the stress starts calming down and the loads lessen, that way you can restart your retirement. Even though we don't want you to