Gopher's Minions

"Cyberpunk 2077" It will be ready when it is ready...discussion

OutandBack

It's embarrassing how terrible Fallout 4 is when you compare it to that. Even if the game gets a bit watered down for release, it'll still be much higher quality than Fallout 4.

Just look at the amount of people on the streets. No loading screens either. Meanwhile, Fallout 4 has loading screens to get into a "city" of a dozen or so people.

12 hours ago, ShawnBoucher said:

It looks great. Im curious to see how they handle the voiced protagonist angle. With that level of character customization you will need multiple voices to go along with it.

Good wonder.

I have speculated that they will use AI and voice synthesis. It is possible to create inflection and tone to match a real persons voice and copy an actors responses so well that they cannot be told from the real actor. However, just because this is current technology, does not mean the XBOX-Two or PS5 will be able to handle this technology.... or that RED is able to incorporate this level of technology into a game yet. It is coming, but maybe not yet. There are ways to cheat, ways which modders use when they create new dialog from voice acted lines in Skyrim. This cheat method can be combined with AI to create ever changing dialog with far less voice acted input. Again, I don't know if RED is up to even this. If they use the old technique of recorded voice, I don't think they could put all the dialog into a console. So I am expecting some new approach.

Maybe part of the game in the Cloud?

Edited by Cryzeteur

18 hours ago, ShawnBoucher said:

It looks great. Im curious to see how they handle the voiced protagonist angle. With that level of character customization you will need multiple voices to go along with it.

Don't you think they will just do a generic mans and womens voice sans any accents? I mean why would a girl with red hair and a scar sound any different that a black haired girl with a tatoo?

7 hours ago, OutandBack said:

Don't you think they will just do a generic mans and womens voice sans any accents? I mean why would a girl with red hair and a scar sound any different that a black haired girl with a tatoo?

They may sound the same but the different factions have to have different lines.

Unless its like Skyrim and you can do all factions. Of course that doesn't reduce the number of lines. Hmm... if you have robotic voice implants that could add voices...

If they do the entire board game it could get really really huge...  :P

Edited by Cryzeteur

14 hours ago, OutandBack said:

Skyrim went as far as different races having different "Foley" voices Orcs v Argonians (grunts and arrrghs) etc, but given all the amount of lines that would need to be recorded for such expansive story threads, I'm not sure they'll do it. Or if they choose too, production will take longer and costs will go up by quite a bit.

Edited by Caloss2

On 8/29/2018 at 10:39 AM, OutandBack said:

Honestly the first character will sound fine no matter how you build it. I am only thinking of replay ability. If you can create a wide variety of characters and  play styles then it stands to reason people will play the game more than once. Hearing the same voice will break immersion for many of us. Of course if the game is as good as it looks it will be a minor issue. Still offering a few different sounding voices say 2 male 2 female could help a bit. Adding a few more with each dlc would greatly expand the options. Of course cost is a factor and probably the main one. How about a pitch or tone adjuster slider that might work as well. I wouldnt mind playing a squeaky voiced tough guy named Alvin ;P 

Edited by ShawnBoucher

On 8/29/2018 at 6:39 PM, OutandBack said:

Every single person has an accent.  It's all to do with where you were born, grow up and live which affects how you talk in a multitude of different ways.  A voice without an accent is impossible.  Even computer voices have an accent of sorts.  So no, I don't think they'll do a generic man and woman's voice sans accent. Additionally, considering what it takes to make an accent, whilst physical appearance has little to do with vocal sound (some things like a larger chest cavity can obviously have a physical difference) in a roleplaying game where the protagonist is variable, personally, I think the protagonist should be unvoiced to aid the roleplaying of the player.

6 hours ago, TiDinzeo said:

I think the protagonist should be unvoiced to aid the roleplaying of the player.

I did not watch the 48 minutes of gameplay for fear of spoilers. Were there no clues if the protagonist was going to be voiced? Or if there would be different voices for your character?

3 hours ago, OutandBack said:

I did not watch the 48 minutes of gameplay for fear of spoilers. Were there no clues if the protagonist was going to be voiced? Or if there would be different voices for your character?

I don't think there were any real spoilers in the video. First, it is a demo and still in development. Second, if you are unfamiliar with Cyberpunk, as I am, it was really confusing. Gameplay is really "do what ever you want" and the goals are very different from any game I have played... because of the cyber-implants. In some ways it reminded me of a ramped up Prey in a city with mobsters instead of aliens.

It appears that the female protagonist in the demo has a voice with a California accent.

The only thing I found off-putting was the extreme use of swear words.

Edited by Cryzeteur

11 minutes ago, Arrogant said:

It's a city full of degenerates that do whatever it takes to survive, no matter how risky. Swearing is a pretty handy outlet for dealing with something like that.

Yes... but when it is not necessary there is no need to overdo it. You are playing a game because you feel comfortable in that role. Not everyone feels comfortable with everyone swearing constantly. I have friends that don't know any words except swear words and they communicate without real words. That does not mean I want that in a game I am playing.

1 hour ago, Cryzeteur said:

Yes... but when it is not necessary there is no need to overdo it. You are playing a game because you feel comfortable in that role. Not everyone feels comfortable with everyone swearing constantly. I have friends that don't know any words except swear words and they communicate without real words. That does not mean I want that in a game I am playing.

That's just part of the atmosphere. In Skyrim, you had draugr and dragons. In Cyberpunk 2077, you have swearing. It's part of the world itself. Having no one swear would break the immersion.

20 hours ago, Cryzeteur said:

I don't think there were any real spoilers in the video. First, it is a demo and still in development. Second, if you are unfamiliar with Cyberpunk, as I am, it was really confusing. Gameplay is really "do what ever you want" and the goals are very different from any game I have played... because of the cyber-implants. In some ways it reminded me of a ramped up Prey in a city with mobsters instead of aliens.

It appears that the female protagonist in the demo has a voice with a California accent.

The only thing I found off-putting was the extreme use of swear words.

I took your word for it Cryzeteur and watched the demo. @TiDinzeo You are not going to get your wish. The protagonist is fully voiced and the the dialog wheels were very small.  Think Witcher 3-lite in first person located in Crysis2's game world. The only roleplaying I could see happening is if you stayed away from the main story and just lived in the open world. I am not sure if you could level your character much without playing some of the main quest there just wasn't enough in the demo to tell.

Based on this demo alone I will get two game plays, one male guns a blazing one female stealth character and I could make a character who justs tries to live in the open world sans the main quest if the game allows lvl progression. In comparison I have 2000hr in FO4 with 6 characters 4000hrs in modded Skyrim lost count of the number f characters. Still playing both games today. I played 3 characters in W3 for about 1200 hrs the game is in storage on gog for lack of mods.

1 hour ago, OutandBack said:

I took your word for it Cryzeteur and watched the demo. @TiDinzeo You are not going to get your wish. The protagonist is fully voiced and the the dialog wheels were very small.  Think Witcher 3-lite in first person located in Crysis2's game world. The only roleplaying I could see happening is if you stayed away from the main story and just lived in the open world. I am not sure if you could level your character much without playing some of the main quest there just wasn't enough in the demo to tell.

Based on this demo alone I will get two game plays, one male guns a blazing one female stealth character and I could make a character who justs tries to live in the open world sans the main quest if the game allows lvl progression. In comparison I have 2000hr in FO4 with 6 characters 4000hrs in modded Skyrim lost count of the number f characters. Still playing both games today. I played 3 characters in W3 for about 1200 hrs the game is in storage on gog for lack of mods.

I played Arena and Daggerfall in 1998 and after. Morrowind the day it came out in 2001. And Oblivion the day it came out in 2005. I began playing Skyrim on a disc version when it first came out, 2011, and probably put in 2000 hours. I also played Fallout in 1997 and after for an unknown number of hours. Must be 3000 hours in all of these before I got Steam copies.

I joined Steam 23 February 2013. On Steam I have played 1288 hours of Skyrim and 651 hours of Skyrim SE. This doesn't include the thousands of hours modding. I still play Oblivion and Morrowind occasionally along with Fallout, Fallout 2, Fallout 3 (89 hours on Steam), Fallout NV (146 hours on Steam), and Fallout 4 (1368 hours on Steam). And only 71 hours in Witcher, 44 hours in Witcher 2, 85 hours in Witcher 3.

You put a lot more hours in both Witcher and Fallout than I did. But I am still playing Skyrim and Fallout. Not really drawn back to Witcher as strongly though I loved the two or three play throughs I made. I think Witcher 3 was about the best game I have ever played, but the Elder Scrolls series has a greater return play value and the games are longer than Witcher when you do everything. It is not just about mods. But mods encourage return play because some are like DLCs. 

I will certainly play Cyberpunk, but it will have to be really unique to draw me back in for more than a couple of play throughs.

Edited by Cryzeteur

18 hours ago, OutandBack said:

@TiDinzeo You are not going to get your wish.

I never expected that the protagonist would be unvoiced, I was just stating my opinion as a conclusion of what I was saying about accents and I stand by that conclusion, that a silent protagonist is better for role play in a roleplaying game so that the player can decide on the accent and other vocal qualities for themselves in line with the character they're playing.

On 9/3/2018 at 6:10 AM, TiDinzeo said:

a silent protagonist is better for role play in a roleplaying game so that the player can decide on the accent and other vocal qualities for themselves in line with the character they're playing.

I agree. If the main character has a name and backstory of their own i.e Geralt of Rivia then the voice the developer provide is fine. If you create your own character then the voice needs to be the one in your own head. If they insist on having voiced dialogue I would prefer to at least have an option for which voice I hear.

3 hours ago, ShawnBoucher said:

I agree. If the main character has a name and backstory of their own i.e Geralt of Rivia then the voice the developer provide is fine. If you create your own character then the voice needs to be the one in your own head. If they insist on having voiced dialogue I would prefer to at least have an option for which voice I hear.

I do wonder how much extra work it would be for them to give you an option to turn off the protaganist's voice, I wouldn't think it would be much but I'm also not a game dev, or any kind of coder for that matter.

5 hours ago, TiDinzeo said:

I do wonder how much extra work it would be for them to give you an option to turn off the protaganist's voice, I wouldn't think it would be much but I'm also not a game dev, or any kind of coder for that matter.

It will probably be possible to mod off the protagonists voice but I don't know if the dialog will be displayed in text form. It should. That option is often built in for deaf users.

1 minute ago, Cryzeteur said:

It will probably be possible to mod off the protagonists voice but I don't know if the dialog will be displayed in text form. It should. That option is often built in for deaf users.

My point was more that imo, that should be an option in the base game without needing to mod for it.  Of course, if it's a lot of work, I would rather they concentrate on other things.