Gopher's Minions
Roverno

3D printing DnD figures

Hi all,

I started playing D and D with a group of friends and also got a 3D printer recently. The two came together in holy wedlock and produced plastic figures for D and D. Perfect.

Does anybody else do this? Where do you get models from? Do you design them yourself? personally i can model on solidworks, great for mechanical design, not so good for 'creative' design.

I have 33 Lbs of D&D and AD&D  Stuff....  Books, figures made out of  pewter, lead, and other materiel, some mag...  I had 15 years (on and off) being a DM...   yea  this was before the whole "I am a game master"  instead of being a   Dungeon Master crap.

I loved playing that game (with the right people).

20160824_194845_zpsehnqwlm1.jpg

20160824_194800_zps99qcuxzd.jpg

20160824_194741_zpsc4nknzcq.jpg

20160824_194714_zpsgcm6efym.jpg

Edited by Flyddon

1 hour ago, Dalitasdrain said:

By arrhenius arbalest! That sounds awesome 

I know you can design one here but I've never bought one and I don't think you can download the model either but it might give some inspiration or ideas

https://www.heroforge.com

I can't use that website anymore. :PGood times.

Firstly im sorry for the hideously late reply. I forgot to sub to the thread so had no idea there were comment. What a fool

On 8/24/2016 at 11:47 PM, Dalitasdrain said:

By arrhenius arbalest! That sounds awesome 

I know you can design one here but I've never bought one and I don't think you can download the model either but it might give some inspiration or ideas

https://www.heroforge.com

It is pretty awesome, i wish that website would allow purchase of just the STL. That way people can buy the file and send to me for their own custom characters, would be pretty sweet. From my searches i've found quite a bunch of stuff.

On 8/25/2016 at 0:51 AM, Flyddon said:

I have 33 Lbs of D&D and AD&D  Stuff....  Books, figures made out of  pewter, lead, and other materiel, some mag...  I had 15 years (on and off) being a DM...   yea  this was before the whole "I am a game master"  instead of being a   Dungeon Master crap.

I loved playing that game (with the right people).

20160824_194845_zpsehnqwlm1.jpg

20160824_194800_zps99qcuxzd.jpg

20160824_194741_zpsc4nknzcq.jpg

20160824_194714_zpsgcm6efym.jpg

Isn't it always a case of "in the good ol' days" ? :P 

On 8/25/2016 at 1:04 AM, Philosophercat said:

I can't use that website anymore. :PGood times.

Hahaha, i'll leave that one to my imagination but i have a good idea of why :) 

Oh gods, if I had access to a 3d prtiner... my house would be filled wall to wall with figurines, on Hero Forge alone I'm in the hundreds... I can quit anytime I want. I promise. It's a shame I can't afford even one model from there, Hell, if I had the money I'd probably be able to pay their rent and bills for a year with orders alone :P

Edited by Sicarius001

Hey, if anyone is interested I'm quite the fair hand with 3D modeling (4 years of schooling) and I could always use the practice. If the OP is interested I could create the STL's. My experience is largely in Rhino 5 including  the autodesk T-splines plugin. I haven't ever tried characters or realistic style creatures, but with a decent concept/drawing I'm confident I could make something pretty good. I'm not actually a DnD player but I love 3D as an art medium. I would be happy to try my hand at modeling if I had an interesting concept to work from.

Well if you want the practice then it would be rude not to ask you for something wouldn't it! :) I can't even draw this stuff in 2d so i can't really help that much on the concept side either but I could grab a few images from google though.

a melee Wood elf would be nice. A couple of examples below, equipped with a sword and elven leaf shield would be fantastic please! If you want more after than or dont want to do that there are plenty of other suggestions i have.

For some background:

You grew up in the wilds, far from civilization and the comforts of town and technology. The wilds are in your blood. Even in places where you don’t know the specific features of the terrain, you know the way of the wild. Wanderer. You have an excellent memory for maps and geography, and you can always recall the general layout of terrain, settlements, and other features around you. In addition, you can find food and fresh water for yourself and up to five other people each day, provided that the land offers berries, small game, water, and so forth. Faction. You are a member of the Emerald Enclave, a group dedicated to maintaining the delicate balance between nature and civilization. Personality Trait. I once ran twenty- five miles without stopping to warn my clan of an approaching orc horde. I’d do it again if I had to. Ideal. Life is like the seasons, in constant change, and we must change with it. Bond. I am the last of my tribe, and it is up to me to ensure their names enter legend. Flaw. There’s no room for caution in a life lived to the fullest.

The scale we are using is a 1 inch base, either 25.4mm circle or across flats of a hexagon. 

For height, 6ft or 1.8m is approx 32.5mm in the scale i'm working with but i can scale it after its modeled anyway so don't worry too much.

Are you familiar with designing for 3D printing? I'm thinking thicknesses, overhangs, etc

e7bf16666ad3aed8f14c252a105ba0ba.jpgFourth_Edition_Dungeons_and_Dragons_Elves.jpg

This looks cool, I am inexperienced in actually preparing a 3D printing file however I am familiar with the tricks and necessities required by the medium. To be clear I think in imperial units. You say 1" base on a 6' person. By that do you mean a 6" final model? In general scale is purely relative, however it helps to create the final model as the relative scale of the original idea. This sounds fun and I would like to create this in 3D. I'm assuming the images you have provided are purely illustrative and not indicative of the the final piece. Spending some time, going over your scale, am I to understand that you want a model approximately the size of 1 1/4"? If that is so that is not a problem, however the fidelity of the 3D print may suffer. I am not sure what kind of dimensioning is possible for a makerbot or 3D printers in general. Either way I will go forward with the information provided. Stay tuned for updates.

So the final model would be about 1 1/4" tall with a 1" wide base, thickness of the base is about 5/32". Yes, images are just there for illustration/ inspiration. I can print a layer thickness of 0.1mm without too much trouble so i can get quite a bit of detail. Maybe don't go too OTT with the finest detail to begin with, then i'll take a look and have a print and test and see what it comes out like.