Gopher's Minions
Spellcaster

The Sentinel and the Temple of the Bunny-eating God (Minecraft Gigantic Stiv Statue)

So, I've been working on something in my spare time for quite some time now. You once said @Gopher, that you don't know what's next after Lava Tower, so here you go.

Stiv Temple Dome preview 1.jpg

[back view below]

This is part of my little side project. Originally it was just a practice piece for ZBrush in which I was aiming to train my patience in working with very long and tedious tasks but I've spend so much time on it that I decided to do something useful with it ;)

I'll be posting more of this in this topic from now on, however it will take some time since this is just a head of the full Sentinel statue and I'm doing it when I have nothing important to do after work.

The statue itself is not finished yet but the helmet is done, so I have all I need to make diagram plans of how to build it. I've took some steps beforehand to make it work (model is not one solid object- it's segmented so I can see individual slices) therefore producing the plans will be streamlined and much faster then making model itself.

So here it is. Let me know what do you think of it and if you have any questions I'll be glad to answer them when I can.

Hope you all like it guys.

[back view]

Stiv Temple Dome preview 2.jpg
[sneak peaks of the statue itself]

Stiv body preview 1.jpgStiv body preview 2.jpgStiv body preview 3.jpgStiv body preview 4.jpg

Edited by Spellcaster

wow I didn't see the statue just the helmet.  Now it's unbelievable. Do you know how many blocks it will take in total? I think  I'm going to try the helmet on top of this epic mountain I found recently. I'll leave the full statue for others to take  on. 

@Slushy_Bucket Yeah, I did eventually realize I'm doing something crazy ^^'

@ShawnBoucher I've added those sneak peaks later. I'm honestly scared to start counting, haha. The model has few million polygons already (including many redundant parts and double cubes made by mistake that I'd like to delete if possible). There is 6 polygons for every cube so if I reach 6mil polys, I'll know It's about million blocks. I'm not sure if that will happen, just saying it for example purposes. Stairs and stairs corners are more complicated but they will be used only on helmet for smoothing it out, so I'm ignoring their polycount. It sounds a lot but you could make a hollow version like I did with helmet if you want to save time on mining.

@cheetawilliam Scale it up? I think you grossly underestimate the size of this thing ;) The helmet alone is 36-ish blocks high. The torso on the picture is not the whole thing - there will be legs too. Comparing it roughly to the hight of the Lava Tower, I believe you'd need to dig quite a few stories down to squeeze it under the sky box. This is why I strongly recommend to "nerdpole a ruller" to the sky box, next to the statue before starting. How tall was the Tower exactly?

@Dalitasdrain Thanks Dalitas. I was trying to tell him directly in the chat like 7 times during the stream, when he mentioned building Stiv statue but I slip under his radar every single time (unless I'm saying something of little importance ;)

Ok so I have begun one horn to go and my template is complete. This is a cluster of 4 mountains between a jungle and a savannah no other mountains around. I was drawn by the lava falls and water falls. Especially the waterfall that seems to have flown over a lava fall creating cobblestone but leaving the lava glow. Tomorrow I will add the second horn and begin trying to figure out how to make it the full blown helmet.   http://imgur.com/a/04qAc  YAY! it is complete the first step in a thousand block journey begins with the first  block. I added   some shots from the jungle side you can still see the scaffolding in. 

Edited by ShawnBoucher

Hi guys, I'm back from work and have few minutes to respond.

@ShawnBoucher Didn't expect anyone to start building it so fast. Especially just from the preview pictures. It's looking good, mate. When you'll get stuck on something specific, let me know and I'll see if I can help in anyway.

@PSquered It won't be very similar to Bravosi Colossus. I was thinking more LotR Gates of Argonath but a single statue(to be honest I was considering making second one of Jack or Richard but it's to much work, so it's going be only Stiv). In pose department, Stiv's helmet will face 90 degrees right and his right hand will be aligned with this direction, extended in a "stop right there" position. Left hand gives me a lot of trouble in the position it is right now - bent in the elbow and lifted so that the palm is at the belly hight and facing upwards. I want to place something in the left hand. Mace of Molag Bal was my first idea but it might be impossible to make it with blocks at this scale, so a spell tome will probably replace it. Mandatory cape is mandatory, ofc.

@maxx130 Doubt it. He probably glanced and thought I'm spamming some random stuff in the chat.

Where is Gopher anyway? Are you lurking G-man? Come on, come out and play. :P

Btw. Could anyone instruct me on how to properly @tag a person when I'm mentioning him/her? By now, you probably realize I'm a freshmen when it comes to forums and how some things work ;) 

5 hours ago, Spellcaster said:

Didn't expect anyone to start building it so fast

I couldn't help myself such an awesome creation must be built. I am still surprised by the response or lack there of that this has generated to me it is amazing. I began trying to piece it together from the photo but was quickly distracted by real  life and then by my scattered brain. I only finished the top two layers. I hope you continue posting your progress here and by all means keep posting the plans they make things so much easier. I will continue to update my photos as I make noticeable progress. I myself have limited knowledge of how things work but if it is similar to Twitch you just type the username after the @ symbol.

2 hours ago, Dalitasdrain said:

Gravity is circumstantial in MC and we could place dispensers that fires weapons out its mouth 

Well a huge Stiv, carved inside with an entire city on multiple levels, with lots of dispensers all around that shoots weapons to every fool assailant would indwe'd be cool xD 

1 minute ago, ShawnBoucher said:

We are going to need alot of clay!  Unless we build it from wool which would be easier on the dye budget.

I think a combination of both will be needed, mainly because of the colour differences between materials and to add finer details like shadowing.