Gopher's Minions

Possible Discord server?

Personally I find Discord to be better than Teamspeak.  Probably because you have the option of not only different chat channels, but also different text chat channels seperate from the voice ones.  And you can be in a voice chat and any number of the text chats as well.  Add on the voice chat quality and that the whole thing is free not just as a user, but also to set up a server and creating channels in the server is very easy to do.  When they get around to implementing video chat as well (It's on their list to do but no-one knows when) it will probably replace skype for me as well.  Not that I use skype often of course.

Well there isn't much demand for a switch to Discord. Plus I wouldn't say it is easier. TeamSpeak is pretty easy for us to manage, and the server is only like $3 dollars a month, so. Also, if there are connection issues we can simply switch servers where as with Discord you just have to live with it until it fixes itself.  

For this community at the moment I think I prefer TS aswell. It has a specific purpose and it works for what we need it for. Discord has the chat channels too which I feel like would get really crazy really fast in a big community. I don't even know if the chat can be moderated or not. And a totally unmoderated chat with 100+ people talking at once *shudders*.

2 hours ago, Okmeery said:

For this community at the moment I think I prefer TS aswell. It has a specific purpose and it works for what we need it for. Discord has the chat channels too which I feel like would get really crazy really fast in a big community. I don't even know if the chat can be moderated or not. And a totally unmoderated chat with 100+ people talking at once *shudders*.

Discord can indeed be moderated.  I know there are plenty of big streamers who use discord as a kind of unofficial forum and voice chat.  It mostly depends on the community themselves, one that fosters a helpful friendly approach to each other will have few problems even when there aren't any moderators present.  Additionally, I'm pretty sure I saw you can set twitch chat bots to moderate discord as well for when mods can't be there or to automate the routine stuff.