Gopher's Minions
Flyddon

If you made a FPS/RP game what would be the MOST crucial aspect ?

SO I was having a rather heated discussion with some of my co-workers about Skyrim, and the question kept coming back to what was best about Skyrim....  the free roaming interaction with any and all or the feeling of completing the quests (not just the MQL) or the survival aspect of the game.   This question moved over to FO 4 as well (and all FO).   Now understand we were not talking about what was good or bad about the games, but what the player like to do and felt enjoyment doing...   Such as Dick (not his real name) kept on and on about how the true gamer wanted freedom in the game, free movement and free action.. a virtual world where his actions meant something.  Then there was Brian who said freedom is good but you have to have a purpose (quest), without quest the game was just a survival game.  Still a couple of others added that a story (a believable story) was the best part, something that sucked you into the game.  Of course my used-to-be best friend  said the action was what made a game, not just a run and gun, but the realism .   Now all of these are important, but the question was of all things discussed (or not discussed) which do you think is THE crucial aspect .... or as it was asked  If you made a FPS/RP game what would be the MOST crucial aspect ?

FPS  RP   =  First person Shooter    or Role playing

Edited by Flyddon

i think that almost every aspect you are mentioning, @Flyddon, could be chosen as a central part of the game by a talented team

take Witcher 3, for example - here we have a great story and a strong goal, but freedom is somewhat limited

honestly, i prefer this kind of games - i loved reading since early childhood, so a good story is always very important for me

however, the aspect of freedom that comes with modding is also very attractive - in a way, you can construct your own game for yourself

Personally I'm into the open world aspect of these games.  I can put the crap writing and nonsense storylines aside and just wander the world in happiness.  Fine for an fps I would think.

However, I would say an objectively good rpg would require a lot more than just a world. I'm not 100% sure what kind of mix of story/writing/immersion/choice/consequence would be ideal, but rp seems like it needs a framework to place your story and interaction as well as results of your actions. 

Edited by pjm0925

So I am seeing the same kind of opinions  we had on Skype, this may be something that there isn't  one answer.   Although after having a night to think about it, it seems most of my colleagues today are agreeing that  Story and Realism are strong leaders in the most crucial category!

25 minutes ago, KittyLordMeow-Meows said:

Honestly though, why fps/rp?

We all did agree that the First person view was the best (as we saw it), 3rd person and 2D games just really don't appeal to us.

14 minutes ago, jeancly said:

honestly it must be fun XD 

Pretty much.  There needs to be a clear idea of what type of experience the game is trying to provide; supported by story, mechanics, and artistic design.  Is it part of an existing franchise or a new IP?  Who is the target demographic? DO you need to figure in the price of tea in China? Okay, maybe not that last one (you never know).  Skyrim was so successful because the pieces fit the target goal: open world, self determinate storytelling opportunity with mechanics that support the gameplay style while being iterative in many ways, still feeling like an Elder Scrollls experience.  Fallout 4 largely "fails" because of its tie to the franchise and because the leap in gameplay mechanics and storytelling mechanics was such a large shift that it alienated much of its core audience, abandoning them in many ways to chase a different demographic.  Witcher 3 made major changes to game mechanic in a way that feel like iterations, but successfully created a more active game that still feels like the core experience in many ways.  

So! The question, as it was postulated in the title, then, is what would I find most crucial.  Coherent design.  The game needs to feel like a continuous design flow, from writing to leveling mechanics.  I prefer, personally, leveling that happens organically, as opposed to determinately, insofar as I don't want to THINK about leveling, I want to level as I do things.  It's a large part of why I keep going back to Skyrim.  Decide who you are and do the things that person would do, and those are the skills you'll develops.  I DO rather dislike choosing perks, and would prefer that perks developed based on gameplay decisions like "uses heavy shields and fire magic, develops blocking perks and greater skill with fire magic" types of perks, but I dislike the forced growth style of leveling.  That said, that works for certain types of games, not so much for others.  If you've a 30-60 hour game, you don't have the time to organically grow.  In a 200+ hour game? Psh, I don't want to see a leveling UI at all, except as an overview of what I have accomplished, what path I've traveled.  But yeah, at the end of all that babbling, coherent and consistent design is the most important part.

the more and more i think about it i believe that consistency is the most important thing. In every game everything you do should have a sensible reaction from the surroundings. 

-Skyrim : if you kill a chiken the owner comes to you ( or a guard) and ask you for compensation instead of killing you , same for the goose in the witcher 3, where nobody gives a fu** if you slaughter them all.

I think the most important thing is that the game mechanics are not broken, because it doesn't matter how good anything in the game is if it is just down right broken.

If I had to pick one thing (((above all others))) that was most important to me it would be the way I interact with the game. The controls.

If I am constantly fighting the games controls I loose all immersion. If I have to stop thinking about the games story and fight with the interface I usually just give up after a time and uninstall the game.

6 minutes ago, Merp17 said:

They are making a Conan the Barbarian RPG called Conan Exiles.

It's being made by Failcom, I mean Funcom, trust me after 15 years of playing their Anarchy Online game, I wouldn't get anyone's hopes up lol

Well we just had a global conference on this subject, a total of 12 people in 5 countries (after our Friday B2B/supply chain conference)  finally agree story/content would be the top item in the most crucial category!  Not to say the other items were not important and would have to be working and realistic.   But I think as this thread shows there are som many other factors that make a great game.

The most crucial element of a fps/rpg, indeed *any* game is a quality engine that's stable, and easy to utilize/customize.  Then when it comes to everything else it's a delicate balance between story, action, survival, etc.

Player control; in character creation, dialogue options, attribute distribution, avoiding auto-dialogue, etc is a rather key element for me. While I prefer a story driven RPG over Open World, being able to control the RP about as much as I would in a PnP game is something I prefer in either type of game.