Gopher's Minions
Philosophercat

THE WITCHER 3 - Wild Hunt 98 : The Woodland Spirit

This quest is know to glitchout if not followed correctly.

Meaning you need to follow it as written by picking one side or the other and doing just those tasks. Trying to play this quest down the middle will glitch it as gophers game did.

Before gophers reboot you could see Sven name in red. If gopher would have walked away Sven would have respawn at his door way and went after Geralt again. He can't be killed once the quest glitches out.

I was very surprised gopher got to kill him with a simple reboot.

Oh! one thing since it might have been missed by some. A screen shot taken from Gophers game right after burning the wolf hearts.

25845436030_5a959edecc_o.jpg

This was slightly disappointing.

I still remember the amount of thought Gopher put into the quest with a tree spirit in the swamps. This one deserved more attention too, I think. (And its not for the first time.)

If the main concern was that speaking with Sven might have irreversible consequences - why not consider that the same could be true for the ritual as well?

And what exactly is this bug you are talking about? Nothing seemed obviously wrong here.

1 hour ago, Arjy Yu said:

This was slightly disappointing.

I still remember the amount of thought Gopher put into the quest with a tree spirit in the swamps. This one deserved more attention too, I think. (And its not for the first time.)

If the main concern was that speaking with Sven might have irreversible consequences - why not consider that the same could be true for the ritual as well?

And what exactly is this bug you are talking about? Nothing seemed obviously wrong here.

Is it just me?

I felt like Gopher was in a hurry. Maybe it was the extra K&M twitchness on this episode or running thru this quest kind of fast or the technical issues he was having.

I hope he is not getting tired of this game. He is only about 60% the way thru unless he does a speed run on the MQ. Which I would not advise.

This is not FO4, you can lose this game. Meaning you can come up against monsters you can not beat unless your lvl is equal or above and so you can not proceed with the MQ.

================

The Sven IMMORTAL bug is pretty well known. I don't know what more to say than what I wrote above.

I had recorded a few short videos on my trouble with Sven but dam over the weekend I cleaned out my video HD.

Edited by OutandBack

I played the quest same as Gopher; I had decided to make the pact with the Lechen hoping it would be the lesser evil. In the end every male in the village is dead, mostly by my hand. Rather depressing really.

I don't know if I have the immortal Sven bug since I never went back to that village.

I quit reading the comments and leaving a comment back when Gopher said he was not going to read them do to some folks spoiling the story.

I don't know how the monitizing works for YT I was under the impression hitting the thumbs up and leaving a comment help increase the payout for him.

I still hit the thumbs up on every vid I watch and leave my comments here in the forum although I'm not to sure there are many W3 fans in this group.

15 hours ago, OutandBack said:

The Sven IMMORTAL bug is pretty well known.

ah, so it was about Sven - i thought smth wrong might have happened during or after the ritual

the only bug i remember - or noticed - on Skellige is a certain blacksmith refusing to initiate dialog

fortunately the fix is pretty simple, althou not exactly immersive

In my defence I only get slightly anoyed... ok, not necessarily annoyed, but more like... worried, when he misses something important quest-related, something that could make him do something very wrong. In this case, I was worried that he'd missed something important about the Leschen because he didn't read the entire entry. Last time was when he did the Vampire quest.

Missed power armours ? Missed magazines ? (I have not, and probably will not play FO 4.) Honestly, when I'm watching the FO 4 LP I miss them aswell, and only realize he missed something by the comments. Out of all the things people in the comments said that he had missed, I only saw that one power armour on top of a highway, and only because I paused the video right at that moment.

Edited by Apocalypso

It is a pity that Gopher missed some important details in this quest, but I think it is also kind of not clear enough in the description in the map and quest info.

I get worried when he misses information and slightly annoyed when he decides to interpret the information the game provides making it more fitting to his ideals, or to his approach in this case.
The pact is very vague and leaves a lot to interpretation, so when you get to the altar you don't know very well what you're doing, what it implies, which kinds of makes me angry with the writers/developers.

In general, if I have to critize Gopher for something in his gameplays is that when someone (a character in the game) says something that makes Gopher surprised/angry/mad/feeling strongly disagreeing, Gopher will go talking a bit wild without waiting for the character to finish, hence missing some point, I think.
And the same happens when some things occur in the game and he was talking and/or thinking about something else at the time; sometimes he misses some might-be fairly important pieces of info, I think.

However, all that said, In my opinion CD Projekt has certainly some work to do.
The Witcher is "a dark fantasy open-world action role-playing" as described in wikipedia, but in my opinion it is also an adventure game where you have a path or two or three to follow that will cancel the others paths at some point. I feel that in many situations of the game, CD Projekt need to work better on the paths, descriptions and situations.
It will be so nice to have more options giving you a bit of a "middle game", maybe with better, worse or inconclusive results. That would be neat!

That an rpg is an adventure game is something unavoidable in all role video games, since you don't have a Game Master giving you a more clear path or making up something whenever a player chooses to take a different approach on the situation at hand.

Reviewing the story that Gopher got:

Leshens are mean and self-serving creatures.
The leshen in Fayrlund is old and has marked one in the village.
And as long as the marked one lives near its domain, the beast can't be completely killed, for sooner or later it'll be reborn.

From Gopher's conversation with Harald:
The Woodland Spirit has turned the hunters of Fayrlund into great warriors.
The woods teem with game and the women to bear strong babies.
Fayrlund's hunters are the best ones in Isles thanks to the Woodland Spirit.
The to-be-hunters go through a ritual that not all survive.
Geral asks for another way to stop the leshen, and Harald answers: returning to the old path, the old ways, hunting with knive and spear will please the Woodland Spirit.
Their ancestors made a pact by laying sacrifices of prized game on a stone, submitting to the trial by burning a sacrifice of wolves' hearts on the sacred spot (Harald explains the pact very vaguely).
If you kill the Woodland Spirit you'll bring its wrath onto all of us.
Reasonably Gopher does not believe half of it, however the pact...

Geralt says to Sven "a monster like that is a serious threat to the village, and I need to find the marked one"
Sven says "folk won't believe you. They'd never listen to an outsider accusing one of their own. But you find the marked one, and I'll handle the rest".
As for <Sven handling the rest> I'd guess it could mean making the rest of village believe that there is a marked that cannot live in the village if the leshen is to be completely killed.
How Sven/the village would handle that the marked one does not live in the village is where the walking in thin ice begins, maybe right from the point when Geralt pinpoints the marked one madness could start.
There is no option to try to talk to Sven about ways to handle the marked person, which doesn't make a lot of sense to me.
The leshen has truly marked one in the village, Hilde, which Gopher finds out.
And then Gopher does not want to go straight to Sven, fearing I guess what will happen when he pinpoints the woman.
But he does not remember well what the pact is exactly (vague and messy description from Harald), and the description is not clear on the map so he goes to the altar, with the idea to meet with the leshen and make a new pact, not The Pact.
Then, suddendly the pact is actually done, hence agreeing to go back to the old ways.

There is also no hint about how tense the situation is between the two different "sides" of the village.

Somehow I really like that it is not clearcut (with the vague description from Harald), but somehow it is really too strict/rigid.
It feels a lot like an adventure game and not rpg.
It would be good to be able to go hunt the leshen without agreeing on anything (maybe getting killed, or maybe even never being able to really have a complete fight until you get more information), to be able talk with more people from the village, get more stories, more information on the pact and the history of the village, even from people from other villages or such, maybe figure out a way to atract the leshen in some cunning way and attack it, maybe tricking it with the ritual.
It would be very nice to have six paths you can follow, from which 4 of them end as a "failure", but from these failures the player would learn stuff, and then get in the next path.
It could also have more endings.
It could be somehow more clear and less clear, but maybe with more info you can get a clearer path of where you are going with your decisions, and definitely less rigid.

In conclusion, in my opinion the whole thing could be better and I feel that Gopher rushed in blindly a little bit.
I think CD Projekt has made an amazing work on this game, beautiful really, taking care of many many details, but it could still be more rpg.

I really hope some developer from CD Projekt is following Gopher's gameplay, and learning some points.

Question to all of you, specially admins:
Does Gopher read the posts in here?

I agree with lots of the stuff you pointed out, but you shouldn't forget that this quest wasn't even a sidequest. It was a contract (find monster -> kill monster), although one with more story than most others.

Sidequests in this game are massive, some of them even to a point where they could pass as a mainstory chapter in many games (and a good one at that!). Some examples for sidequests: Triss' escape from Novigrad (ball etc. included), helping Crachs children, helping Yen with her sideproject, planning Radovids assassination, freeing anna from the crones. And those are just the really big ones.

Eventhough more paths for every quest would be cool and would help fleshing some things out even more, but at some point one has to be satisfied. This game is only 50€ (and has been on sales for less) and i think quantity- and qualitywise everyone has gotten way more than their money's worth.

To your last question: He has answered in an earlier episode discussion here, but i don't know if he always reads them.

On 31/3/2016 at 0:35 AM, Brathering said:

I agree with lots of the stuff you pointed out, but you shouldn't forget that this quest wasn't even a sidequest. It was a contract (find monster -> kill monster), although one with more story than most others.

Sidequests in this game are massive, some of them even to a point where they could pass as a mainstory chapter in many games (and a good one at that!). Some examples for sidequests: Triss' escape from Novigrad (ball etc. included), helping Crachs children, helping Yen with her sideproject, planning Radovids assassination, freeing anna from the crones. And those are just the really big ones.

Eventhough more paths for every quest would be cool and would help fleshing some things out even more, but at some point one has to be satisfied. This game is only 50€ (and has been on sales for less) and i think quantity- and qualitywise everyone has gotten way more than their money's worth.

To your last question: He has answered in an earlier episode discussion here, but i don't know if he always reads them.

Thanks a lot Brathering!
You are totally right and I agree with you! The game is huge and superb!
I was just bringing up rpg stuff and that if you read the books, also find monster -> kill monster gets complicated, as they hade done in the game many times, I guess I just wanted even better. BUT, I love the game!! :D