Gopher's Minions

Silly Question about BoS lore

SalvorHardin

Ok, I don't know if this question has been already answered in the forums, I did a quick search and found nothing of relevance so here it is:

What the heck happened to the Lyons?

I know that Elder Lyon was... well, old, but what about his doughter? Does the game addresses why there is no Lyons Pride, and/or why the DC Chapter is now aligned with the Western BoS ideas Once again?

I mean, apart for Maxson being the new Elder, which was to be expected, the BoS Chapter we left in FO3 was way more "open minded" than this... did the Outcasts finally take over or what?

Or it's just me not getting it? Maybe this one tough.... uhm... anyway, since I do not have the game (could not play it on my steam powered machine), I've no other way to know but to ask you guys.

Maxson doesn't have a true claim to any sort of title in the Brotherhood (Lyons did split off of the original Brotherhood, the Codex doesn't allow that.), maybe he had them all executed, so there would be no disputes, later down the line.

He would almost have to. You can't have a bunch of "nay-sayers" around, to muddle-up your claims, or challenge your authority.

The "Outcasts" of Fallout 3 were actually the true Brotherhood of Steel in the DC area. They would have killed Maxson if he walked up to them claimed he was the New Elder of the Brotherhood. I doubt they would give him any support, he left the original Brotherhood, and the price for that is banishment, if not death.

One must always remember how strict the Codex is about allowing outsiders access to advanced technologies that the Brotherhood doesn't approve of, or hasn't "cleared" yet, for use by mankind. Which is none, to date.

That also goes along with their "hiring" policy, which is, you have to be born into the Brotherhood, no outsiders, ever, no exceptions. And if you leave, you stay gone, or get dead. Usually dead, because you would already know too much.

The Brotherhood has always been fanatic isolationists, it begs the question of what the hell Maxson is thinking by coming right out in the open about being in Boston to begin with, he is obviously mad. Or power-hungry. Or both. Maybe, it's something else.

"We're just here to exterminate Super Mutants, and Synths", is just an excuse.

To just waltz right into Boston, declare "peaceful intentions" out in the open, then start setting down policy for the whole area?

It's a simple land-grab, by force.

Doesn't sound anything at all like the Brotherhood of Steel.

He's acting more like part of the Enclave.

43 minutes ago, Roachbait FNV said:

Maxson doesn't have a true claim to any sort of title in the Brotherhood (Lyons did split off of the original Brotherhood, the Codex doesn't allow that.), maybe he had them all executed, so there would be no disputes, later down the line.

He would almost have to. You can't have a bunch of "nay-sayers" around, to muddle-up your claims, or challenge your authority.

The "Outcasts" of Fallout 3 were actually the true Brotherhood of Steel in the DC area. They would have killed Maxson if he walked up to them claimed he was the New Elder of the Brotherhood. I doubt they would give him any support, he left the original Brotherhood, and the price for that is banishment, if not death.

One must always remember how strict the Codex is about allowing outsiders access to advanced technologies that the Brotherhood doesn't approve of, or hasn't "cleared" yet, for use by mankind. Which is none, to date.

That also goes along with their "hiring" policy, which is, you have to be born into the Brotherhood, no outsiders, ever, no exceptions. And if you leave, you stay gone, or get dead. Usually dead, because you would already know too much.

The Brotherhood has always been fanatic isolationists, it begs the question of what the hell Maxson is thinking by coming right out in the open about being in Boston to begin with, he is obviously mad. Or power-hungry. Or both. Maybe, it's something else.

"We're just here to exterminate Super Mutants, and Synths", is just an excuse.

To just waltz right into Boston, declare "peaceful intentions" out in the open, then start setting down policy for the whole area?

It's a simple land-grab, by force.

Doesn't sound anything at all like the Brotherhood of Steel.

He's acting more like part of the Enclave.

The first thing they declare in Boston is, "Do not interfere"

48 minutes ago, Roachbait FNV said:

It all sounded like an "or else..." kind of deal to me.

And that wasn't all they said, either, I was just being general.

It does really sound more like something the Enclave would say though.

I never had time for them in FO3 either. If they were destroying every single piece of technology, whilst using clubs and spears for weapons and animal skin for clothes, I would respect their beliefs. But they are no different than any other regime...mad for power, and justifying themselves as owners of everything while preaching to others why they should have nothing. They are probably worse than the Institute in the fact that they invaded the Commonwealth

Spoiler

while at least the CIT are native to it

Edited by Breakwind
spoiler

Well, I actually think Maxson has some kind of claims... I mean, he was just a child in Lyons' care at the time and did not have a choice in the scism. And he's a Maxson, don't forget that bloodlines do carry some wight in the BoS.

As for the Outcasts, i know that they were the "true broderhood", but they were also largely outnumbered by the DC Chapter after they started accepting local recruits. It's not impossible that once Maxson gained power and went back to the "old ways" the Outcasts were reunaited with their brothers and sisters... after a purge, maybe?

As for the Brotherhood not recruiting...well, that's just not true. In almost every game the protagonist has been recruited and integrated in the ranks of the Brotherhood so...

Anyhow, I was just curios if there was any "in game" explanation for the Lyons' fate...and it seems that there isn't any.

Just gonna quote the Fallout Wikia:

Spoiler

After the events of Fallout 3 the East Coast Brotherhood of Steel faced a leadership crisis after Elder Owyn Lyons died of natural causes and his daughter Sarah Lyons was killed in combat shortly thereafter. The East Coast Brotherhood repeatedly appointed and deposed numerous ineffectual Elders until Arthur Maxson was appointed Elder of the East Coast Brotherhood by the West Coast Elders in 2283 at the age of sixteen, the youngest in the history of the Brotherhood, after displaying exceptional skill as a capable warrior and diplomat by defeating the supermutant leader Shepherd and brokering peace with the Brotherhood Outcasts, bringing them back into the fold.

Source: http://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/Arthur_Maxson

Well, perhaps I should have said "beside a few, very, very rare exceptions..." as far as recruiting goes. Being allowed to join was considered having an honor bestowed on you.

One you better not betray.

And the Codex is very strict on what happens to members who leave, and try to return, if they aren't killed in the leaving process, they are killed on sight, after that, bloodline or not, once you are out, you are out, no matter age, no matter lineage.

There is no "going back". Everyone at the Citadel broke that code, and that means everyone, no exceptions.

As an example, look what happens with Veronica, in the Mojave, when she quits...An assassination squad shows up, the minute she goes near the Followers of the Apocalypse, the Brotherhood of Steel wants her dead.

She knew too much, to be allowed to live, or to give away any knowledge she had.

She could have been McNamara's own daughter, for all that mattered, and it wouldn't have swayed the team sent to kill her, for a second.

They were following the edicts of the Codex.

They even make that point pretty clear.