Gopher's Minions
Arrogant

Forum Episode Discussion

I know it's been brought up before, but I'm going to suggest it again in the wake of recent events on Gopher's YouTube.

Spoilers are going to happen. It cannot be prevented, people will post spoilers. Some do it on accident, others on purpose.. but they do happen and will always happen. That said, they can be removed or censored in some way by moderators, so why are we having episode discussions on YouTube, where there are no moderators, and not on the forums, which is moderated quite well?

Disable the comment section on the Let's Play videos on YouTube and allow us to instead discuss those videos here. Gopher can create a thread and link to it in the video description. Not only will it bring quite a lot of traffic to the forums, but it will also allow discussion to actually be moderated.

Then the forums are going to be crowded by people who just want to comment. I don't think it's a good idea, it makes things less convenient. 

An interesting one, and it would be a solution, but I just don't think it would work.

Edited by Aj-M1A2X

It would make no sense, IMO.

Because people that comment under the videos AND are members here are the more active Minions and wouldn't post spoilers in the first place, here or there. And I doubt that people that comment there but are not members here would sign here just for the sake of commenting.

So it would probably simply reduce the number of people watching his videos.

Also, not having a comments section makes it look much more "impersonal", IMO, somehow makes the viewer feel more distant from the Youtuber. At least it does in my case. I usually skip a video if it doesn't have a comments section.

We had this before, the situation where you had to join the forum to be whitelisted for Gophers MC server.

I have to say that in my opinion it didn't do the community a favour. The sudden increase in people creating an account and making an introduction thread (you had to do that back then) just for MC did alienate quite a few regulars here. It also filled the forum with quite some white noise. Don't get me wrong, there were also some that joined the forum that way that really made this forum a nicer place. But overall it dropped the activity of this forum. And I still have the feeling that the forum is still recovering from it.

Again, this is just my opinion. I was one of the people that were already here for some time when it happened. So this is kinda the "back in my days" talk that i really don't like. But I had this happen with other coms I was in and that's why I don't like it.

I don't want to insult or offend anyone and if I did I want to apologize and ask you to message me so we can figure it out.

Disabling comments would only hurt him and this community, IMO.

One thing he could do (in high-spoiler risk LPs) is name a few people to go through the comments and separate the good, helpful ones and send them to Gopher by a message. Mods are the people he trusts the most.

Edited by Apocalypso

I think the simplest fix would be just to ban those YT posters that refuse to stop posting spoilers in the comments.

Does YT offer bans with a time limit or is a ban perma once one is ban?

The YT ban system is crap. Afaik it only allows perma bans.

If they would add shadow bans they would make things so much easier.

I think the only solution now is to not read comments on my let's play videos until the play through is done. Kind of sucks, but people seem to be obsessed with defending their right to spoil things for other by defining spoilers in a way that allows them to spoil things for me and claim otherwise. That is a bad sign and convinces me that people are just going to get sarcastic or annoying in the comments eg. I am waiting for someone to say 'Great video Gopher ... oh wait ... is that a spoiler? LOL'. Just not worth the time and mental energy it zaps.

Once Fallout 4 comes out I will probably be spending close to 3 hours a day on non LP video comments anyway so perhaps it is for the best this way.

I think the only solution now is to not read comments on my let's play videos until the play through is done.

They shall not be attended to; nor shall they be forgotten.
The trolls of the Tubes shall live in the dark with no light.
For the dark...

The dark belongs to him.

Their cries and screams to no avail; be remembered.
Beating their drums in the depth; but ignored.
For he is...

The Dark Lord; forevermore, master of his domain.

Pro Tip: Stop reading the comments on YouTube.

Except for the spoilers I really enjoy the comments.

It's like when you come out of a good movie with your friends and you talk about some of the really cool moments

and even better the star of the show might even pop in and give you some insite as to what he was thinking or feeling at the time.

It really can add to the enjoyment of the LP.

But I do understand. This game is way too good to be spoiled by a few dumbasses that just don't get it.

Personally I only read YT comments if I either want to see people fighting over idiotic things or want to loose my hope that humanity actually has a chance of not killing itself anytime soon. So yeah, avoid YT comments but please don't get these people to be here. It would be a nightmare for your mods too.

[...]people are just going to get sarcastic or annoying in the comments eg. I am waiting for someone to say 'Great video Gopher ... oh wait ... is that a spoiler? LOL'. Just not worth the time and mental energy it zaps.

That about sums up the comments on that video.

Have not been following this series, but did watch the Spoiler vid mentioned. Any chance this could be fixed by posting vids well after Gopher has already played the material? This appeared to work now and again for the Skyrim series.

I've noticed a couple of people wondering in the comments section why isn't Gopher replying on his videos.

There is one other thing Gopher could do. Have a few people go through the comments to check if there are any spoilers, and then tell him if the comments section is safe to read.

Stab them all in the eye with a dessert spoon! gopherVaultStiv

Stab them ALL I say!

Unfortunately we lack enough dessert spoons for everyone, and Richard has a copyright on The Spoon; we'd need an Indegogo campaign to raise the money to pay his royalties if we used his intellectual property.

Not everyone who watches Gopher will want to click somewhere else to comment. For example, even though I'm signed up here, I wouldn't even want to click out of my YouTube Watch Later list, just to make a brief comment, and Gopher is one of my top three YouTubers/Streamers, soo...

I find that youtube has got a lot of 'first' type comments and i have stopped leaving comments there, I find if i do have anything to say about a video, i will write it here where the morons fear to tread and i at least hope i will get non moronic responses with insults peppered through them.