Gopher's Minions
Deleted User 1257

Dogs are better! A thread dedicated to dogs!

I grew up around dogs, I have trained dogs (Obedience Training certified).  I love dogs.  But dogs are like people in some ways, there are good and bad dogs, yes it may be the way they were raised, or environment, but  there are good and bad dogs.

A Couple of  things to Never do:

Approach an unknown dog with your hand out ...  fingers are an easy target... always closed hand and back of hand facing dog (non threatening)

Watch the tail and Ears...   ears down means I'm scared, I am not comfortable, I might not like you.  

Be cautious when bending down to a dogs level, they may interpret it as aggression.

Do NOT try to establish Alpha male  dominance, depending on the dog.... you may not be the alpha male!

Do NOT run  if you think the dog is going to attack, back away with as much noise as you can make, normally unless they are trained attack/aggression they will bark and growl ... (Normally...of course there is always the chance you get the crazy one.)

In General,  Dogs are the most loving attention whores you will ever meet, all they really want is love and attention.  The great thing is they are smart , loyal, caring , protective and territorial.   These traits are also what causes most problems with unknown people the  "protective and territorial part".  If you meet a new dog at his house... he is thinking possible invader, possible threat to humans, you think ow  what a cute dog.   This is why dogs act different when you are there with their humans and their humans are accepting you.

My Max Dog, knows when I am concerned and when I am not (about people at the door or at the park) and he acts according.  He has defended me at the park from stray Pit Bull  (bite and chase) and from the deadly squirrel :P in the tree at the park (barking only).   He let the door to door salesman know that this was HIS house and don't mess with my humans!  He is 103 lbs, but my 12yrs daughter with down syndrome can lead him around the house or park with her barbie doll purse strap at a leash.

I would tell you of the story about  "Buddy" my last dog (GSD), he die saving my son.  But it's a long and mushy story.

GEDC0390_zpsarvgse3x.jpg

MY home alarm system

I'd love to have a dog (something like a GSD) but I simply don't have enough time for a dog. And I don't want to make a dogs life miserable just because I wanted one. That's stupid and just wrong.

Maybe in a few years... there is hope.

(I'll hang out with my FO4 GSD for the time waiting. I should be done with uni when FO5 comes out :P )

The problem with that sentence is of course that you never know what kind of owner you have in front of you. The kind that actually knows that their dog is harmless and friendly, or the stupid kind that have no idea what the heck they're doing. :/ 

4 hours ago, MeatyOwlLegs said:

@Shadowlyn Thanks! I will try and keep that in mind. The dog owners I know just always say "He wouldn't harm anyone!". But that doesn't really help...

Read what Flyddon wrote above he had some good input to and I have to agree as I thought about it more when holding my hand out i do curl my fingers in.  When I say ask owner I mean it as a courtesy to them.  But I take my cues from the dog like the ears, tail, and the body language.  Puppys are almost always hyper and some big dog puppies don't always look like a puppy.  To me a puppy is any dog that is 1 year or younger.  I hope the advise you get here is helpful.  Something you could do is see if your local pet store has dog training classes and maybe go and observe one.  You would probably learn a lot.

Well, this might be hard, as I love both cats and dogs. I've actually owned more cats than dogs, but that's more because I lived in a place more comfortable for cats than dogs. Now, though, I have a house, not a trailer, and a fenced in yard so I have dog. She was actually found on the side of the road. Someone apparently didn't want her. Now she owes all the blankets in the house. And I would love to post a picture but for some reason it's not letting me. Oh, well. She's a Dachshund/Chihuahua mix.

43 minutes ago, KantiSaper said:

Well, this might be hard, as I love both cats and dogs. I've actually owned more cats than dogs, but that's more because I lived in a place more comfortable for cats than dogs. Now, though, I have a house, not a trailer, and a fenced in yard so I have dog. She was actually found on the side of the road. Someone apparently didn't want her. Now she owes all the blankets in the house. And I would love to post a picture but for some reason it's not letting me. Oh, well. She's a Dachshund/Chihuahua mix.

It does that, use imgur and post a link under "insert other media"

1 hour ago, KantiSaper said:

One of our dogs is also a foundling. A tiny pup way out in the middle of no-where on the side of the road trying to catch a car that just swerved to miss him. I would say that he was dumped from a car and was trying to get back in one in the midday tropical heat, 2 days after Christmas...an unwanted gift I would say, he is a bit backward and cannot be taught anything but he is what he is and has a home

8 hours ago, KantiSaper said:

Here is how you can post an image.  use the attachment (note there are file size Requirements) feature or share a url.

Attachments.jpg

Edited by Shadowlyn

OK Finally got around to getting some pictures of my babies online.

http://imgur.com/a/UPLHD

First and still the greatest is Gucci he is a boxer/lab mix smart and sweet. He is 8 years old now but still acts like a puppy until he calms down and realizes he has blown out his hip again. He would literally never harm anyone on purpose but at 120 pounds he is very capable of running you over (several people from my dog park can verify).We got him as a puppy and at the worst time apparently around 6 weeks. This is the time they learn boundaries from their pack. We were unaware and trained him not to bite so at the park when other dogs start to wrestle him they will bite his neck but he never closes his mouth. It's all head wrestling I felt bad he is kind of at a disadvantage. However his size made up  for it and by age three he was very capable defending himself in spite of not biting. 

Second came Channel she is a Shitzu/Yorkshire Terrier mix. Stubborn, willful and fearless. She has a complex and has gone through several years trying to dominate the dog park it's a bit scary she always picks on the biggest dogs and will not back down until she is pinned and then she yelps like she is being killed. Finally at age 3 she is calming down.She is very defensive of her humans and house. Coolest thing is she is a scorpion hunter we have them here in Nevada and if one comes in the house she finds it and corners it growling until we come and kill it. 

Third is Cupcake. My wife's co-worker ask us to dog sit while she moved and then decided we should keep her. So we did she is awesome super friendly and crazy active. She is the white one and you may notice the mud on her in the pictures. That's her thing she doesn't care for water but LOVES mud puddles.I think she is Jack Russel mixed with who knows what. She has the energy and the brown markings though much lighter. She is 3 now we have had her about a year and a half she is finally finding her place and learning our routines.

I can't believe I lived so long without a dog.They are incredible and so much entertainment.

4 hours ago, ShawnBoucher said:

OK Finally got around to getting some pictures of my babies online.

http://imgur.com/a/UPLHD

First and still the greatest is Gucci he is a boxer/lab mix smart and sweet. He is 8 years old now but still acts like a puppy until he calms down and realizes he has blown out his hip again. He would literally never harm anyone on purpose but at 120 pounds he is very capable of running you over (several people from my dog park can verify).We got him as a puppy and at the worst time apparently around 6 weeks. This is the time they learn boundaries from their pack. We were unaware and trained him not to bite so at the park when other dogs start to wrestle him they will bite his neck but he never closes his mouth. It's all head wrestling I felt bad he is kind of at a disadvantage. However his size made up  for it and by age three he was very capable defending himself in spite of not biting. 

If you use the individual image links in "insert other media", you can insert the images into here :P Oh, and Cupcake is definitely part Jack Russel, I've had enough of them to know (mother used to breed them for 2 litters, we've has 15, kept 2 with us, 2 with aunt). Even pure Jacks have some wild variation.

5 hours ago, Sicarius001 said:

If you use the individual image links in "insert other media", you can insert the images into here :P Oh, and Cupcake is definitely part Jack Russel, I've had enough of them to know (mother used to breed them for 2 litters, we've has 15, kept 2 with us, 2 with aunt). Even pure Jacks have some wild variation.

Nice to have some confirmation. The papers from the vet say she is poodle mix but I just could not see the poodle. After looking around at the park I noticed the Jack russel markings and of course the energy level matched. She is a big jumper too not sure if that's Jack Russel or not. Most dogs can jump up on the couch from the seat side but cupcake does it from the back. I am pretty sure she could hurdle it totally if she felt  like it.

7 minutes ago, ShawnBoucher said:

Nice to have some confirmation. The papers from the vet say she is poodle mix but I just could not see the poodle. After looking around at the park I noticed the Jack russel markings and of course the energy level matched. She is a big jumper too not sure if that's Jack Russel or not. Most dogs can jump up on the couch from the seat side but cupcake does it from the back. I am pretty sure she could hurdle it totally if she felt  like it.

Mine are huge jumpers, and the Poodle/Jack Russel mix seems like a fit, that's definitely a Jack Russel body and face, not as angular and lean as poodles. She looks like a smaller, whiter, version of my Ori, he's on page one. Mine can jump on couches from the back, and in 4wd vehicles with no issues whatsoever. 

Dogs ARE better!

This beloved dog also featured in my avatar:

LVrGwN6.jpg

Then there's this guy.

veEjgpp.jpg

Annnd my brother's puppy that I helped raise.

CApeIWYWEAAhXN2.thumb.jpg.2a01fdf4b07e3c

And then he let her get pregant...puppies!

CBTHCFBUwAAzV6e.jpg

And of course retextured Dogmeat in FO4:

rBbDAJn.jpg

Edited by Zsoki
dogmeat and error