Gopher's Minions

Dogs are better! A thread dedicated to dogs!

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Tan labs aren't too common, well, not here anyway. Now... to get my two Jack Russels to stay still enough for a picture...   EDIT: Yay for brib

We have a dedicated cat thread, so why not one for dogs? (EQUALITY! =P) I hate cats, so... =P (I don't actually hate cats.)  

Why you gotta judge like that, @Xelphos ? My faithful virtual companion, Diogenes:

Posted Images

On 30/09/2015, 00:28:48, Flyddon said:

OMG...  I didn't want to start this because I don't want to come off as a cat hater (which I'm not)...  being a new guy here.  BUT equal time and all that,  let's see some 

I don't actually hate cats. I just like dogs more, but that is mainly because I have a Guide Dog. =P

Previous Guide Dog:

puh95oK.jpg

Current Guide Dog:

RrMr6iF.jpg

This was one of the Guide Dogs at the school, never seen a lab this colour before.

ZM9NgCn.jpg

Tan labs aren't too common, well, not here anyway. Now... to get my two Jack Russels to stay still enough for a picture...

EDIT: Yay for bribery! I couldn't get Ori to stay still without his mother, so here's them both, and one of Meg by herself, in her usual spot looking out the front window.

S5KmKMj.jpg

OoVUiZh.jpg

(I got promptly jumped on after this photo, you can see him preparing to jump)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I am kinda scared by dogs since my brother and my sister got bitten by dogs when we all were very young.

I don't really fear dogs but mostly don't know how to read the dogs behaviour properly, so I often see aggression where there is none.  But, since I am always growing older, I am starting to appreciate the kindness and loyalty a dog can offer to us humans. Any advice on how to react to dogs in general?

Edited by MeatyOwlLegs
1 hour ago, MeatyOwlLegs said:

I am kinda scared by dogs since my brother and my sister got bitten by dogs when we all were very young.

I don't really fear dogs but mostly don't know how to read the dogs behaviour properly, so I often see aggression where there is none.  But, since I am always growing older, I am starting to appreciate the kindness and loyalty a dog can offer to us humans. Any advice on how to react to dogs in general?

I have never really thought about it.  Generally if a dog is wagging its tail its not aggressive.  Small dogs tend to be aggressive more than your larger dogs.  How dogs react depends on their environment and what they have been exposed to.  I would recommend not showing fear to them.  You dont have to be aggressive but stand your ground.  Also in attempting to pet a dog I recommend holding out a had open palmed with the plam facing down and towards you.  Allow them to smell it and get your scent first.  If hair is standing up on its neck, its growling, or showing teeth I do not recommend this.    If the dog has its tail tucked between its legs or barking at you but constantly backing away from you it actually scared of you not showing aggression.  This is what I have personally learned.  When I meet new dogs I talk to them like a young child, Sometimes make kissing/clicking noises with my tongue and hold out my hand to them.  If owner is around I always ask first.